What are you saving

• 20 Replies

Sam K.

What are you saving
« on: May 08, 2007, 14:17 »
I've just read a great book 'Back garden seed saving' judging by the amount I spend on seed I could save allot of cash :D . Also the selection should tune veg to the characteristics of my plot and improve the quality of the veg year on year. :D

In principal this sounds good, but for some varieties looks like hard work and eats allot of space.  :?

I was wondering if this is common practice for people to save seed.

Sam
Sam.

Organic with treated timber present.
What can you do? I don't want the house to fall down.

Jake

• Rockers
What are you saving
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 14:45 »
That looks like a good book

here's a link to it on amazon

I saved wanadoo peas and swiss chard from last year. The chard seeds have only about a 40% germination rate but they are free so not too bothered. I am wondering though if the germination rate for next year will be even lower :?

This year I'm going to try and save broad beans if poss, raddish, beetroot and maybe even carrot.

I don't think seed saving is that common but its certainly rewarding when they grow. I do also LOVE buying seeds though, bit obsessive about it, I could open a seed bank!
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

WG.

What are you saving
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 14:54 »
I might be being a bit of a wet blanket here but I reckon the price of seeds these days means that I'd rather see the space growing something I can eat directly.   Take a parsley plant for instance; it would be in the ground for almost 2 full growing seasons before you got any seed from it - the second season giving you little by way of usable parsley.

Not sure about the attuning process you mention either - others may disagree.  I am friendly with a commercial garlic grower and he never keeps his own garlic for planting.  He imports fresh garlic (by the container) each year.

I kept a few sweet pea seeds though since I loved the colour.  :D

Sam K.

What are you saving
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 15:44 »
HI Jake and Whisky_golf

You are right some varieties are easier to save than others. The book has made me wonder why anyone would buy French bean seed more than once. Some methods must be more cost/time effective than others, this is I think, the root of my question.

Do you sew parsley each year? Mine seems to survive the winter, though it is planted in a sheltered spot. I may grow some root parsley as well to have more all year around :D .

Sam

WG.

What are you saving
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 15:47 »
Yes, you should resow parsley since your plants will bolt (any day now).  Parlsey is a biennial.

Good luck with your experimentation & do keep us posted.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
What are you saving
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 15:56 »
I save some seeds, mostly tomatoes and chillies, but I get some from Alanromans.com at 50p per packet, and there's another website that sells most at 50p, plus seed swaps on here and the River Cottage forum, so seeds don't usually cost me much.

Sam K.

What are you saving
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 16:13 »
The parsley flowers each year, we tend to cut off most of these. Those that are left tend to seed and grow along side the old plants.
Seems to work for us. I'm not sure I know any better though. I will try a freshly sewn patch to compare.

WOW grannieannie they are cheaper. Maybe I don't need to save seed just be a little smarter where I spend my cash.

Thanks for the advice

Still I liked the idea of tuning the variety to may patch.

Jake

• Rockers
What are you saving
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 16:20 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
I save some seeds, mostly tomatoes and chillies, but I get some from Alanromans.com at 50p per packet, and there's another website that sells most at 50p, plus seed swaps on here and the River Cottage forum, so seeds don't usually cost me much.

Is there an easy way to get the gooey tomatoey juice off the seeds?

Sam K.

What are you saving
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 16:34 »
According to the book you need to ferment the seeds and pulp in water for around 5 days. Apparently this is similar to the process in nature when the fruit rots. After 5 days skim off the fermented gunk. Only the good seed should sink.

Cannot say I have tried it.... and I have written this from memory.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
What are you saving
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 16:45 »
Of course there is another factor here, that is the F1's, this seed is at its best on the growing year, the following year is not gauranteed to do the same, to be honest I dont find the cost of seed excessive if you compare to the amount of produce say 15 french beans will produce. Also most seeds can be saved for a season or more so they are not wasted if you dont sow them the year you bought them.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

David.

What are you saving
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 16:47 »
I save broad beans, french beans, garlic, land cress*, chard*, leek, marrows, parsnip, peas, pumpkins, radish (for sprouting)*, runner beans, sweetcorn, squashes, tomatoes#, strawflowers, statice, sunflowers, sweet peas, sweet william, corriander, dill, fennel and parsley*.

* The overgrown plants are also hung up for the hens to peck at.

# Let a few tomatoes really ripen and squirt seeds into a small plastic container of water for a few days until the gunge has fermeted away, then tip most of muck/water away, rinse in a kitchen seive, then tip onto double kitchen towel to remove enough moisture so they can be rubbed off into a dish to dry, but not get so dry they stick to the paper. Done this with Brasero outdoor bush tomatoes (and others) ever since the shops stopped selling my favourite outdoor salad tomato.

Additionally this year I'm growing beans for drying and seeds to save for sprouting, and letting some shallots go to seed (to try and get some larger [single] bulbs next year).

Jake

• Rockers
What are you saving
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 16:49 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Of course there is another factor here, that is the F1's, this seed is at its best on the growing year, the following year is not gauranteed to do the same, to be honest I dont find the cost of seed excessive if you compare to the amount of produce say 15 french beans will produce. Also most seeds can be saved for a season or more so they are not wasted if you dont sow them the year you bought them.

Totally agree there but the fun is also a cheeky rebel feeling, a bit like when I wear my Friday socks on a Monday.

I'll get my coat.....

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
What are you saving
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 16:50 »
:lol:  friday socks! I am never awake enough to know the difference.

Jake

• Rockers
What are you saving
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 16:51 »
Quote from: "David."
I save broad beans, french beans, garlic, land cress*, chard*, leek, marrows, parsnip, peas, pumpkins, radish (for sprouting)*, runner beans, sweetcorn, squashes, tomatoes, strawflowers, statice, sunflowers, sweet peas, sweet william, corriander, dill, fennel and parsley*.

* The overgrown plants are also hung up for the hens to peck at.

Additionally this year I'm growing beans for drying and seeds to save for sprouting, and letting some shallots go to seed (to try and get some larger [single] bulbs next year).

wow thats loads.

I forgot, I'm growing some haricot beans this year and I'll be saving some of them also.

Sam K.

What are you saving
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 09:22 »
Hi David

How do you select which plants to save the seed from?

Sam

xx
Seed Saving

Started by LotuSeed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 10, 2015, 16:00
by LotuSeed
xx
saving F1 seeds

Started by jondav on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 21:16
by Kingstown_peter
xx
saving parsnips

Started by Liz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2006, 12:44
by muntjac
xx
seed saving

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2011, 11:49
by plopleuk

Page created in 0.879 seconds with 36 queries.