blue-black poo

• 8 Replies

frankenchick

blue-black poo
« on: October 07, 2009, 14:28 »
One(?) of my hens is making firm, nicely coiled blue-black poo.  I'm not sure which is/are doing it, but they all eat the same things, so I don't think it's food-color related.

The black color makes me think of bleeding somewhere in the digestive tract.  I've tried to narrow it down to one or two poorly-looking hens, but as all are moulting, they all look poorly!
I feel like I've just won the Pullet Surprise . . .

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: blue-black poo
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 14:31 »
Anything like it here

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Do take a picture for us if you can.  It might give more clues.

frankenchick

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 02:24 »
None of the pics resemble my hen's poo.  I would post a pic if I could, but have never been able to do it.  :(   I shall do my best to describe it to you . . .

The poo looks like a perfect poo specimen, straight from the book.  It's firm, coiled, and has the white urates on the slightly larger end.  The only problem is that the part that is usually sort of grayish-green is blue-black -- imagine a gunstock that's been freshly blued.  And it's really black, not the greenish black your kids' poo turns after they've eaten a lot of black jellybeans!

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 08:03 »
imagine a gunstock that's been freshly blued. 

Hi Frankenchick, I'm afraid many of us here in Europe wouldn't be able to imagine that at all lol!

But getting back to your hen, a GI tract haemorrhage would probably result in a dark brown stool, rather than a blue-black stool.

Do your hens have any access to berries, or cherries, as it might be "food colouring" rather than blood in the stool.

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 08:49 »
That's what I was thinking! Blackberries, elder, damsons etc. might cause the colour. You would need to find out which hen/s have a sweet tooth! (I know chooks don't have teeth... ::))They won't all necessarily fancy fruit.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 09:02 »
Don't forget Laurel berries - my van keeps getting covered in dark coloured pooh from the blackbirds and thrushes  >:(.

I know when taking iron tablets it can turn human pooh black so don't know if it is the same for chickens. I am not suggesting that they have been to the doctors for a prescription but are they finding a source of feed with a very very high iron content?
Staffies are softer than you think.

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 09:09 »
That's a thought.....

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 12:10 »
It's likely to be berry related. I had some yesterday and last week that was blue-black in colour and found that two of the girls have been managing to get onto the back fence to peck at dying blackcurrents that have survived and a red berry (i dont know what it is tho  ::) ). They are otherwise happy, I phoned the vet who said nothing to worry about. Next time one does such a poop I'll photo so we can add to the poo thread.

frankenchick

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 19:06 »
I'm beginning to think that it IS food-related; I'm not seeing any fresh poop, and no one has keeled over yet!  :)  We do have some plants with berries (knotweed and one I can't ident.), so maybe that's it.  I always expect the worst, then I'm pleasantly surprised.  ;)

Thanks, all, for the input.

xx
My hens have developed black combs and their faces are going black!

Started by tycae on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 17:21
by Tazzy
xx
first blue egg

Started by babe on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 22:01
by babe
xx
My little Blue

Started by Green man on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2009, 10:23
by poultrygeist
xx
Hybrids - Blue

Started by Floss16 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 21:32
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 38 queries.