Pests and weeds

• 12 Replies

Christine

Pests and weeds
« on: October 06, 2009, 20:51 »
Just picked up the new Pest and Weed Expert by Hessayon just to pop in a corner as ONE of the reference books. There's a rather well repeated sentence - "Fungicides formerly recommended for the control of this disease are no longer approved for this use."

There's a lot of comment on prevention rather than cure. In fact it feels rather like how I learned as a young one - if you do these things, that is less likely to happen. If it does happen, take away and destroy the diseased item to stop it spreading.

Hey ho - it feels rather like full circle.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Pests and weeds
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 21:06 »
Interesting point Christine; even 20 years ago I seem to remember you could blitz just about every garden pest or disease with a readily available chemical which in many ways made things easier.

Whatever you think of the EU and their rules it means that we now have to garden much more carefully and even accept some damage or losses which we can no longer easily control.

In this environmentally and safety-conscious world this would seem to be the right way to go; my concerns are for the veg-growing beginners who don't have the experience to grow crops well enough to withstand disease and pest problems and may quickly get discouraged from growing their own.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 18:19 »
I've always thought of Hessayon as a disciple of the church of “better living through Chemistry.” 

I've often found that it's difficult to prevent everything and sometimes it's nice to cure a problem first so that you know future endeavours are working as prevention.    Does that sound daft?

Ah so that’s Bindweed.  I’ve got Bindweed so I’ve got to do such and such so it doesn’t come back.  Then you know that your future prevention is working.  Right?

Hessayon is always my goto book on fruit, veg, weeds & pests & greenhouses but I am finding him limited in cure options too. 

I'm reading "Here's what you should have done" because all of his other options have been removed  by chemical legislation, there is very little  of "here's what you need to do" once you have a problem. 

Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 20:01 »
I saw the title of the thread, Pests and Weeds,
                                       In Grow your Own

and I thought NO THANK YOU  :lol: :lol:

RIKJD89

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 20:58 »
as a complete beginner im going with the attitude if anything survives in the first two years then im happy and if not, why not? then i know for next time as its all a learning curve int it

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 21:07 »
Fair enough  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 21:19 »
I've always thought of Hessayon as a disciple of the church of “better living through Chemistry.” 

I'm a non organic gardener and don't think that is the case.  He presents an alternative way to tackle problems which you can take or leave.  In latter years, the EU has banned anything remotely useful and taken away our freedom of choice. 

I use chemicals judiciously and have no qualms eating what I grow.

Oh, how I long for the days when I could use Malathion to kill everything. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 21:24 »
And club root liquid  :(

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 21:35 »
Yes, well that made someone feel a little faint after necking 20 steins of lager so it must be toxic.  ::) :lol:

Christine

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 21:40 »
I saw the title of the thread, Pests and Weeds,
                                       In Grow your Own

and I thought NO THANK YOU  :lol: :lol:

But don't we all grow both quite often and then come in here asking for cures?  :unsure:

Ain't that half the misery (or fun) of gardening.

Some weeds are very pretty - scarlet pimpernel, ragged robin, red or white campion, lady's smock, goats beard and speedwell are actually all amongst my favourite flowers. I've never had so many bees on the allotment as when I moved on to a squillion dandelions round the edges.  And one of the best flower arrangements I've ever seen used the common red field poppy and the flowers of the common dock just brilliantly.

The cabbage white butterfly is not ugly - just rapacious.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 21:50 »
Yes, well that made someone feel a little faint after necking 20 steins of lager so it must be toxic.  ::) :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  It wasn't the larger then  ::)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 21:58 »
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  It wasn't the larger then  ::)
No. it wasn't the larger, I blame the lager.  There is no rhyme or reason behind the banning of chemicals except for the obvious financial ones.  Big business dictates how these things go, not the likes of us. ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 22:36 »
As I said earlier in this post gone are the days when you could blitz away all your pest and disease problems with a selection of chemicals without a care in the world (still got an empty container of "Gamma BHC" in my shed as a reminder of the good/bad old days!).

Truly organic veg growing is so problematic that I think many would wonder whether it's worth the effort; like a lot of people these days I just try to do my best when it comes to "saving the planet", but I have to say that the day they ban slug pellets I will be putting my garden tools up for sale on Ebay!

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
clip
Pests

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2014, 13:25
by Dr_Pepper
xx
Pests

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 15:14
by Yorkie
xx
Pests, what to do.

Started by Paul(c) on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 16:12
by compostqueen

Page created in 3.275 seconds with 38 queries.