tadpoles answers please

• 7 Replies

karlooben

tadpoles answers please
« on: October 05, 2009, 17:22 »
i have a little pond made from a kiddies sandpit so its pretty small on my allotment and back in the spring time i put frog or toad spawn in there cant remeber what ones knowing me it was probably both but i still have weeny tiny tadpoles thats not right is it ?? i was cleaning it out well took some of the weed out an chickweed of the top that was really taking over it and i pulled out a little taddy its tail was only just growing an so was its legs , i did have quite a few in there but now i dont know how many are left . there is an adult frog that seems to have made its home there .

suerly this is a bit late in the year  :ohmy:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: tadpoles answers please
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 17:24 »
The funny weather may have confused them this year and they've had a 2nd bite at the cherry, so to speak :lol:

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 18:21 »
 :lol: u mean they grew old very quick an died very quick an got re born in a matter of a few months  cooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll  :lol: :lol: its a mistery maybe i should email autunm watch

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 18:35 »
Some do overwinter as tadpoles it is quite normal. These tadpoles do tend to be big though and sometimes huge. If your taddies are still tiny they may be short of food and need to be put in a bigger pond.

ps, frogspawn is in blobs and toadspawn in strings.

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 18:55 »
i forgot that  :lol: thanks 8 me dohhhhh . i cant get them out if they need a bigger pond as i would then have to empty the whole pond just to try an find them and i would be killing of other stuff which i dont really want to do ,maybe its just best to leave them to it . i would like to move this out at some point an dig a bigger deeper pond well slightly bigger as i have to be carefull seeing its on my allotment .

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 10:01 »
Duckweed is the problem it stops the light (and oxygen ) getting through and the algae the taddies need to fatten up does not grow. I`ve known taddies get so hungry they eat the dangling roots of the duckweed but you are better off with no duckweed at all.
I think one of the mods puts a few layers pellets in to give the taddies some extra grub, worth a try with just a few in a shallow bit where you can see if they like them.

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 17:06 »
i have the tiny little green spots thats the duck weed isnt it   i always thought it was chick weed for some reason  :lol: ok u can call me very stupid  :tongue2:.

thanks 8 i shall try that with the pellets an get the rest of the weed of during the week .

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 18:36 »
Easy to get muxed ip, i often get mares tail and horse tail weed the wrong way round . :)

xx
We had to rescue some tadpoles

Started by Beetroot queen on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 08:44
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 37 queries.