Garlic in a greenhouse?

• 16 Replies

tallulah

Garlic in a greenhouse?
« on: October 04, 2009, 14:57 »
Just wondered if garlic would be ok planted up in a greenhouse rather than outside?  Had a miserable crop from outside, from garlic planted last year.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Garlic in a greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 15:21 »
I'd be concerned if it got too humid, leading to rot.  Also they need a decent cold spell and would a greenhouse prevent that?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 15:31 »
I'd agree.

They need a cold spell in order to clove. Garlic comes from cold climes, so it doesn't need warmth.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 16:46 »
You could plant the individual cloves in modules now and keep in your greenhouse until they begin to sprout, then plant them outside in, say, November as they do need to be outside and have cold spells to get them going for big bulbs next year.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

M0rph3u5

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 20:22 »
If you had a miserable crop last time I would be asking myself what soil preparation did you do before planting your cloves last year?

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 09:48 »
dd just a question if garlic comes from cold climes how come most is grown in italy/spain and now north africa for retail ?

Nobbie

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 15:17 »
From wiki

The ancestry of cultivated garlic, according to Zohary and Hopf, is not definitely established: "A difficulty in the identification of its wild progenitor is the sterility of the cultivars."[4]

Allium sativum grows in the wild in areas where it has become naturalised; it probably descended from the species Allium longicuspis, which grows wild in southwestern Asia.[5] The "wild garlic", "crow garlic", and "field garlic" of Britain are the species Allium ursinum, Allium vineale, and Allium oleraceum, respectively. In North America, Allium vineale (known as "wild garlic" or "crow garlic") and Allium canadense, known as "meadow garlic" or "wild garlic" and "wild onion", are common weeds in fields.[6] One of the best-known "garlics", the so-called elephant garlic, is actually a wild leek (Allium ampeloprasum). It is called "Sudu Lunu" in Sinhalese, Lehsun in Urdu and Hindi, Velli ullipaaya in Telugu and Vellai poondu in Tamil."Velutthulli" in Malayalam.

Libby

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 13:06 »
I was awaiting my allotment plot last year and so planted my garlic in the greenhouse in November, when it was good and cold - we had frost on the inside of the greenhouse.   The plot wasn't ready for some time for me to plant so they didn't go outside until 22 February.  I had a bumper crop of some of the biggest bulbs I have seen.  I am hoping to be able to copy what I did last year for a good crop again.  I planted one bulb to a 4 inch pot.  Probably too early just yet as the greenhouse is still too warm. 

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 13:22 »
dd just a question if garlic comes from cold climes how come most is grown in italy/spain and now north africa for retail ?

I'm also not sure of the reason why Garlic requires a cold spell to aid growth? The Med countries traditionally plant their Garlic during Nov/Dec. Similar to us in the UK. But, their reason for this planting time is to ensure Garlic is given as much as possible, growth time. To ensure a reasonable size of crop. I'm not sure the Med Garlic growers are waiting for a cold spell. Which, more than likely won't appear anyway.

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 13:47 »
i put this years in in april and had a bumper crop ,there was no cold spell after i put them in but they all split lovely

glallotments

• Our plot at Green Lane Allotments
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 14:25 »
I planted garlic in tubs of compost in a cold greenhouse in October last year. I brought it outside the greenhouse when I needed space in the greenhouse for other things - not sure exactly when.

I grew on in the tub until it was fully mature and I harvested some good cloves.

The problem with planting outside in our clay soil is that the cloves rot. We started the cloves that eventually moved outside in pots too - only planting them out once they got were growing well - again a great crop.
Visit our blog

Chilli

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 16:27 »
The important thing to remember about garlic is to always buy bulbs from UK suppliers and not to use cloves from Tescos/Sainsburys or wherever that are sold for food use as these will be continental varieties grown in hotter countries and not suited to the climate here.

I have had a fantastic crop of garlic this year and all I did was plant the cloves out like onions (in November last year if I remember correctly) and leave them to get on with things!!

Mike the Postman

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 16:40 »
If you had a miserable crop last time I would be asking myself what soil preparation did you do before planting your cloves last year?

What kind of soil preparation would you reccommend Morph?

I've just ordered my garlic bulbs.The soil on my plot is quite peaty but as was reccommended to me on here I've raised the bed.Should I be doing anything else to help promote a healthy crop?

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 08:51 »
my opinion is that garlic should be kept in a dry position only occ watering ,mine grew fantastic in an old tractor tyre last year

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 08:53 »
p.s mike the postman wern't you in BOD lol

xx
Drying Onions and Garlic in the Greenhouse

Started by Markjp on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 10:11
by gavinjconway
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 36 queries.