Covering asparagus

• 7 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

Covering asparagus
« on: October 02, 2009, 20:58 »
I have some 2 year old crowns put in last winter which are flourishing; I know they have to be cut back soon, when is best and what do you cover them with to protect against frost over winter?

gillie

Re: Covering asparagus
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 21:28 »
I used to cut them down once they had died back.  You don't need to cover the crowns.  Have a look at http://www.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=310

Cheers,

Gillie

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 03:21 »
I live in a bitterly cold winter climate (-30C ) and I wouldn't think of covering them. They're very well adapted to survival.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 15:18 »
Cut them back almost to the ground after the ferns have turned yellow/brown (which is not yet in my case)

They are pretty tough plants but an autumn/winter dressing of compost or well-rotted manure will help get them off to a good start next year (and no doubt ease your concerns about frost damage)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Brambles

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 15:55 »
Asparagus ferns should be cut when the fern turns brown, that is somewhere around November (one or two of mine are turning now but I will leave until all are brown).   They should have a dressing of compost at this point, they are a seaside plant and benefit from a dressing of seaweed if available, not fussy if the sand is still on.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 16:44 »
I didn't realise they were a seaside plant! I live about 1/2 mile from the sea and got some seaweed which is now in my compost heap, then heard on here it is illegal to collect it. Is this true? Mine is a first year bed but it is not as sheltered as I'd hoped and the winds today.......! I'm considering using two layers of clematis netting tied horizontally onto the pallets that surround the bed on three sides so they don't get blown around so much or I'll get horizontal spears.  ::)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 22:44 »
Thanks all for your help - I'm not starting the debate about seaweed again  :) got into enough trouble with suggesting it for jersey Royals  ;)

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 09:56 »
It used to be standard practice to give asaragus beds a good application of salt to keep them weed free. Probably OK on sandy soils, but I can imagine heavy soils would lose their structure and become like plasticine.

Today we have glyphosate that can be used when the crop is dormant with no green stalks. Commercial growers have residual weedkillers which are not available to home growers.

xx
What needs covering

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 20:00
by NorfolkVeg
xx
what needs covering........

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 08:05
by Stratts
xx
covering tomatoes

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 06, 2007, 20:22
by crowndale
xx
Covering with card

Started by gathsman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 25, 2012, 21:06
by gathsman

Page created in 0.655 seconds with 30 queries.