Hoes help please

• 17 Replies

Hoodsie

Hoes help please
« on: October 02, 2009, 15:16 »
I have recently bought a hoe for my new allotment it is a stainless steel hoe but it not very sharp,
The question is i have heard that a hoe should be sharp can i sharpen a stainless steel hoe or will this damage it or cause it to rust?
Time wounds all heels

noshed

Re: Hoes help please
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 15:20 »
Hoes have to be sharp to be any good so I wouldn't have thought you would have any choice but to get the file out. But I'm not a metalurgist.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

tode

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 15:46 »
Stainless steel doesn't keep an 'edge' as well as ordinary steel, so you may have to sharpen a bit more often.
Don't try to put a razor-sharp edge on it though: it'll just curl.

Best way is by trial-and-error.

Good hoeing

poppies

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 16:26 »
Hi I use a satinless steel one and my oh sharpens it with a grinder, had it about 5 years so has'nt done it any harm

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 17:35 »
Stainless steel will not rust even if you expose new metal.

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 18:36 »
Excuse my ignorance, but how do you sharpen a hoe?  What do you use?

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 18:53 »

A whetstone/oil stone leaves a sharp clean finish. Where as a file will leave marks. And possibly not to be used if you have a stainless steel hoe.

The upper face of the hoe blade (both dutch and onion version) is sharpened at an angle. Just make sure the reverse face is free of burrs. No sharpening is required on this side. And that's it. 

Elcie

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 18:55 »

A whetstone/oil stone leaves a sharp clean finish. Where as a file will leave marks. And possibly not to be used if you have a stainless steel hoe.

The upper face of the hoe blade (both dutch and onion version) is sharpened at an angle. Just make sure the reverse face is free of burrs. No sharpening is required on this side. And that's it. 

Thank you, I'm guessing his is something you can buy in DIY shops?

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 19:13 »
Thank you, I'm guessing his is something you can buy in DIY shops?

I'm not sure where you can buy either a whet or oil stone? I am using a whetstone which my Dad passed on to me. Donkey's years old.

If not a DIY shop then perhaps a hardware store?? Failing that, I would conduct a Google search.

Hope you have success!!!

tode

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 19:49 »
I wouldn't bother with a whetstone: you're not looking for a fine cutting edge: a file or a grinder is fine.   ;)

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 20:08 »
I wouldn't bother with a whetstone: you're not looking for a fine cutting edge: a file or a grinder is fine.   ;)

I'm sorry tode.

What is the point of sharpening the hoe if you are not looking for and achieving a "fine cutting edge"? My understanding of hoeing is to work the hoe cutting all weeds and to loosen the soil on route. A fine cutting edge will achieve both with ease. To ensure a fine cutting edge a whetstone or oilstone is the best option.

tode

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 20:48 »
A 'fine cutting edge' is needed for sickles, scythes and shears, which are not used in soil.

Hoes, spades and forks must penetrate the soil and would rapidly lose a fine edge. In general, their blades should be ground to about 45°.  The cleanliness of the blade is the mojor factor in easy working with these tools.
Hoping to have been of help.   :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 23:01 »
Reading all of this probably means I have it all wrong then....  :blink:

I have several hoes - a dutch-hoe, a draw-hoe and a swoe (which is stainless steel and the newest of the three on the plot).

I haven't sharpened any of them for a very long time.... I find using them works to keep the blade in good order. As long as my hoes will slice through the soil they seem perfectly capable of slicing through the weeds with ease. The more use they get the better they are  ;)

I have a long sharpening stone but mostly use it to keep a handy old carving knife sharp for harvesting veg.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 15:29 »
My good quality stainless steel draw hoe had a thick and therefore rather blunt edge when bought so I sharpened it using a file to produce a beveled edge on one side, flat the other. I then "polished" out the file marks with wet-and-dry paper.

Stainless steel will not rust and will therefore hold its sharp edge longer than normal steel tools; whether you have to resharpen will probably depend on how roughly you use it.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Hoodsie

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 12:34 »
Well there certainly lots of different views on what you should and shouldn't do.

Thank you for your help and will try sharpening it and see how it goes.

Beware weeds this is war!!

xx
hoes sharp and ready

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 16:37
by alimilly

Page created in 0.567 seconds with 37 queries.