MG HAS COME BACK

• 10 Replies

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
MG HAS COME BACK
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:12 »
Had the chickens on antibiotics for three weeks and towards the end of the third week they were showing great signs of improvement.
They have been off the antibiotics for 2 weeks and now I have 2 down with MG again and it's looking like there is more to follow.
So here is what I propose to do, and I would like someone who really knows about this to tell if what I'm going to do is the right way to go about things.

So because its the second time in such a short period that the chickens have MG, I'm going to get the vet to put them all humanely to sleep.

I am also thinking to tear down my small hen house, leave the larger one up and take down the chicken run. Take out nest boxes and perches from the large one-destroy them, and treat the inside with an agricultural dept approved virus killing solution. And then any new chickens will have free run of the whole back yard.
And another question is would the earth where I had the chicken run be contaminated with the MG virus-and if so, what do I do to treat it?

All good advice appreciated!
Thanks!
if you have chickens you have rats

Casey76

Re: MG HAS COME BACK
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 12:18 »
What is the "MG virus?"

Sorry you have had so many problems :(

PS antibiotics will not help a viral infection (only treat secondary bacterial infections)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 12:24 »
Sorry to hear that drumcrow, perhaps they hadn't fully recovered from the myco - it can take a few weeks of antibiotics. Some people on here do advise culling all birds whilst others will persevere with the treatment. If you decide on the perseverance then just remember not to breed from them. One of mine had it last year and mine are all free ranging but think stress may have triggered it off in her (as she more than likely had it in her system).
Staffies are softer than you think.

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 12:30 »
i think that stress in a bird can be the worst thing that they can suffer from, it is believed ( by more knowledgable people than me ) that the stress of being broody and overheating caused the breakdown of my birds immune system, which led to a mareks outbreak, in vaccinated chucks, i am now always on the lookout, and try to keep stress down at all times, but this time of year, we have our last bantam moulting, so it is stressful for her and us wondering if she is going to become ill.
with a few left, we have kept going with treatment, but i can really understand why you would consider culling them all, it was recommended to me as well.

all the best in whatever you decide

martyn

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 12:34 »
The vet said it will take 3wks for them to improve and they did. all signs of it went (i know they will always have it in there system) They went from snotty wrecks to bright health colourful birds eatting drink well the works. i have been dealing with this for nearly 3mths now and i read it could take up to 18mths.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 13:33 »
Hi Drumcrow, i know how you feel :(  I lost one of my birds last week, the vet said she didn't know if it was Myco or not. She had antibiotics 3 times.
   My 2 Sablepoots have also been treated a few times, they are just finishing the moult and i'm sure coming back into lay is giong to take its toll with them, i shant treat them again :( its obvious i cant keep them well no matter what i do and this isn't fair on my others. We are moving house in a couple of months and i really want to do it with a healthy flock. I hate to keep treating with antibiotics all the time.
    Losing my lovely Olga was so upsetting. Good luck with yours, whatever you decide.
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 14:21 »
What is the "MG virus?"

Sorry you have had so many problems :(

PS antibiotics will not help a viral infection (only treat secondary bacterial infections)

Mycoplasma gallisepticum Casey!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 14:28 »
You're over reacting a bit there DC  :ohmy:

The infected birds WILL stay infected for life so culling them is often what serious keepers do. 

Their environment however will not remain dangerous for long once the birds have gone as Mycoplasma will die quickly outside the bird.  Clean the houses well and let the sun and air in if you can, leave it a couple of weeks before restocking and you should be fine :D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 14:30 by Aunt Sally »

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 16:55 »
Yes I'd totally agree with Auntie on this one.  Sadly I've also nursed sick birds through Chronic Respiritory Disease (which is what MG is) and the stress of a moult or similar will cause another outbreak.  So if you have a flock you want to stay healthy, breed from or even add to, culling is the only answer though not the most pleasant solution.  I've just had to cull three of my Marans and although I know it's the right thing to do for the sake of the others it's never easy.

A thorough clean, disinfect and leave for 3 weeks minimum and start again.
Best wishes
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 16:57 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 18:27 »
Thank you hillfooter and sally thats all i needed to know.
OH and to the others that have lost chucks to MG i will know how you all feel on monday because the first batch of chucks are going to be put down by the vet. AND there my best birds so its going to be a dodo day monday. :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 18:33 »
I'm sad for you DC  :(

xx
Going back

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 16:16
by joyfull
xx
She's back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 18:21
by Lost in France
xx
back again!

Started by Louise on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 15, 2008, 16:55
by Aunt Sally
xx
I'm Back!!!

Started by whiskygalore on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 08:31
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 38 queries.