First Eggs?

• 5 Replies

Devonian

First Eggs?
« on: September 30, 2009, 10:35 »
Hi folks,

I took delivery of my first 2 hens at the weekend (Maran and Lohman) and was told they were 21 weeks.  They seem happy but no eggs yet!    Do I need to worry yet?  Not sure if they have laid eggs before I got them.  Any advice welcome!!

Sue33

Re: First Eggs?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 10:56 »

hi Devonian, welcome to the site  :) Your girls should be laying pretty soon, usually can range from 18 - 25 weeks, are their combs getting redder that's usually a sure sign.  If you can put a picture up for us we can have a good look  :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 12:09 »
as Sue33 says are the Combs red or pink. Photos would also help as the size of the comb is important.  Doupt if they would have laid before you got them.
When they are about to lay they will squat in front of you wings slightly open and wobble from one foot to the other as they think your a right ... er because the will associate you as the cockerel and are inviting you to mount them.
No joke.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 12:33 »
is true :D
my wernlass olive started doing that 2 days ago, and today we have a perfect little blue/green egg...small but perfect :D :D :D, its worth the wait, honestly, just be patient they will lay when they are ready :)

nzdunn

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 13:37 »
my maran plonks herself down in front of me all the time, i think its a great way of getting them tame, everytime she does it i pick her up for a cuddle.   Nickyx

Devonian

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 17:35 »
Thanks for all your wonderful advice!   Their combs are more pinky rather than bright red -  I will try and upload a piccy of the girls soon.

:)

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 36 queries.