Is it too late to sow anything?

• 13 Replies

teflon

• Experienced Member
Is it too late to sow anything?
« on: September 28, 2009, 21:49 »
I imagine that this question has been asked many times before,but as ive got just a few potatoes left in the ground along with some toms&runner beans left on the plants ,is there anything else i can put in the ground?
  I've already got some cabbage,swede,psb&caulis in for the winter,but ive got bundles of room left with nothing growing there.So  is there anything else to grow or should i spend the time preparing the soil for next year?
  Thanks in advance
 Tel.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Is it too late to sow anything?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 21:51 »
broad beans (Aquadeluce I think) and hardy peas can go in. 
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 21:59 »
I planted some spinach and baby turnips in a raised bed about a week ago and they're just up now. I'm hoping if I cover them with fleece they'll be ok. I also have winter density and arctic something or other for autumn lettuces. :mellow:
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

dementedhornet

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 22:46 »
I have just planted some parsnip plants which i bought from a garden centre. Also going to plant some Japanese onions to over winter. In October/November going to plant some Garlic. Winter lettuce and Leeks have also just been planted. Hope thats of some help.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 22:52 »
Sorry dementedhornet, but parsnip plants at this time of year? They should have achieved near full size by now and be getting ready for the first frost to sweeten them up for eating.

Anything planted now will make little growth and just sit there doing very little until spring comes along.

I like to give my soil a rest rather than kick the pants out of it all year round. If you try & fill up every spot over winter, you'll have none for spring when you really need it.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 23:06 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 22:54 »
I've just sown some winter lettuce, rocket, endive and perpetual spinach. Some are a bit late, but you never know how long the decent weather will last, and I have a spare cloche if needs be :)

teflon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 23:03 »
Thanks to all.
  I'm gonna give the spinach&onions a go (provided i can get my hands on some by the weekend).i've already got a few baskets of lettuce going in the garden,hopefully i'll be able to prolong the harvest of these if i can cover with glass.
  Thanks again.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 00:57 »
It is great to have a few things still on the go and the autumn planting of onion sets / garlic as well as elephant garlic is something I do. (forgot the shallots!!)

I've only 1/3rd of my plot empty at the moment as I am waiting to transplant wallfowers to the garden, clear the runner beans, tuck into the leeks and keep lifting the carrots and beetroot. Cabbage, PSB, cauliflower and chinese cabbage as well as a few late lettuce all in the ground.

In some ways I look forward to having as clear and empty a plot as I can.... gives me a chance to tidy up. When as much as possible is clear and the compost is in I can enjoy a bit of a relax and dream of what I will do better next time round!!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

dementedhornet

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:32 »
Hello DD, yes i was suprised as well. However the Garden centre owner, said that they would be just fine. The centre were selling loads, so perhaphs this is a new idea that works. We will have to see. I hope so anyway.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 11:39 »
The garden centre would say that!

Things are slowing down now, so I'm not convinced that they'll do much. Also you're transplanting them which will be a shock to them and current conditions are not ideal for a good recovery.

Walewein

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 11:41 »
A new idea that works?! Selling things to make money at the wrong time of year, and a crop that doesn't transplant well anyway!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 11:44 »
Quite.

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 12:52 »
dementedhornet,

Do you have the variety name of this parsnip seed which you bought from the Garden Centre?

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 12:53 »
Sorry!!

Parsnip plants!!!!!

xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie
xx
Better late than never

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 11:37
by Njal

Page created in 0.652 seconds with 38 queries.