Help Is something wrong?

• 8 Replies

Angus

• Skyechi
Help Is something wrong?
« on: September 28, 2009, 20:46 »
I have a small flock of 7 birds from 20 to 30 weeks.  All the girls are Hybrids.  5 are laying very occasionaly.  We get 1 egg normal size egg from our Maran type the rest are like blackbird eggs in size.  And have not increased in the 7 weeks since the girlsstarted laying.  They are fed on layer pellets wormed regulary as they are on the same ground their run bye the way is 35 x 25 foot square.  Is it normal for the egg sizes to stay so small for so long?   Any advice would be appreciated.  The girls are as follows

1 goldline
1 sussex
1 speckaldy
2 black rock type
1 white leghorn
1 cream legbar hybrid

All were purchased from reputable suppliers and are full innoculated as follows
Day 1                Mareks                                 Hatchery Injection                Injection  

Day 3-5             Salmonella enteriditis          Gallivac Se                           Drinking water  

Day 17-19         Salmonella enteriditis          Gallivac Se                           Drinking water  

Day 25              Infectious Bursal Disease     Intervet - Gumboro D78      Drinking Water  

Week 8             Avian Rhinotracheitis           Merial Nemovac                   Spray

Week 10            "Inactivated ND/IB/
                           Egg Drop Syndrome"        Intervet IBMulti+ND+EDS    Injection    

Week 13          Avian Encephalomyelitis     Lohmann Avipro AE               Drinking Water    

Week 14 to      "Inactivated ND/IB/
transfer             Egg Drop Syndrome"          Intervet IBMulti+ND+EDS    Injection    

also a couple of weeks ago I thought I heard sneezing a couple of times but after watching closely could not see who it was or even see a sneaze.   Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 21:28 by Angus »

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
Re: Help Is something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 21:39 »
Hi Angus,
I couldn't speak for all of the chickens you have only the White Leghorn, she should have been laying for at least two weeks now (they usually start at 18 weeks) and the egg should be of a normal size, her egg will be pure white.
What brand of Layers pellets are you using? I'm not sure if this would make a diiference, but I have never had this problem.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Angus

• Skyechi
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 22:05 »
Hi Michelle they are on Heygates layers pellets the leghorn is the youngest she has been seen visiting the nest box but nothing as yet the other are laying on and off but only 1 regular size egg.  Just wondering how long they lay the small eggs for the Maran's egg size has never changed since we got her she was the oldest her comb was just going red.

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 22:08 »
not sure why the eggs are so small, ours started small but gained size quickly.
not sure i would take any notice of the vaccinations. we have lost 3 out of 6 to mareks and diseases that were caused when mareks suppressed their immune systems, all our were from a breeder who claimed to have vaccinated and who advertised in the poultry magazines, so i am a little sceptical now of their claims.
mine have now eased off laying, possibly due to the shorter days, i am aware hydrids sometimes lay during the winter, maybe they are adjusting to the shorter days.
do you add any tonic to the feed or water ? life guard or poultry spice ?
i am sure an experienced keeper will be along soon tp give better advice

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 22:20 »
Hi Angus,
I have never heard of Heygates feeds before so I couldn't say, I use Marriages, like Grumpydad said usually they only lay small eggs for a short while  ???
Could it be that all of the hens have started to lay? as when they first start they are not very regular.
Sorry I can't be of anymore help I don't have any experience with hybrids, but this is a strange time of year for chickens, with the days getting shorter.
But I do have White Leghorns so when she starts to lay you should get eggs from her over the winter.
Michelle xx

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 23:11 »
hi there! might be a stupid question - but are you 100 % Sure htat the blackbird size eggs arent all coming from the  same hen?  :unsure:

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 23:31 »
Perhaps you could post some pictures of your chickens and eggs, we might be able to work out whats going on  :)
Michelle xx

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 09:25 »
hi Angus, your birds are stil young, if you class POL at 20 weeks then they will only have been laying for 10 weeks tops. It will take time for the egg size to develop, and there are genetic factors involved too. I would expect them to reduce laying from now, as they are hybrids they will lay probably through winter, and they will be signicantly larger in their second laying season. Are the eggs normal in every other respect?

Angus

• Skyechi
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 10:36 »
yes the eggs are normal in every way but small except the eggs from the Maran type which are normal size.  I just thought with what I had read that the size increased quite quickly.  You know what its like though with the kids our demand at the moment far exceed the supply.  Everyone wants an egg for their breakfast, that is why also we tried to get birds which hopefully will lay slightly different colour eggs.

xx
Help! What have I done wrong????

Started by SuzyandtheBs on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 21:28
by joyfull
xx
What's wrong with my hen?

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 09, 2007, 18:45
by Lost in France
xx
What did I do wrong?

Started by kegs on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 16:22
by AL Hathaway
xx
Is there anything wrong?

Started by brownp on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 23:27
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 29 queries.