Time to transplant??

• 5 Replies

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
Time to transplant??
« on: May 06, 2007, 21:47 »
I have some swede,leeks,calabrese and sweetcorn hardening off at the mo. The sweede is 4-5" tall, the calabrese the same height, sweetcorn6" leeks 8". I was wondering when i can transplant these in to my plot as i dont want them to die after all my hard work.

I also have 3 well established courgette plants but someone said it was to early to plant these, is this correct?

Thanks for the help, its well needed.
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

shaun

Time to transplant??
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 21:54 »
well as your in suffolk i would guess that you would be ok to transplant the courgettes(its a bit on the borderline up here a the moment so i'm hanging on for a few weeks) same goes for the corn and calabrese but the leeks will be fine
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Time to transplant??
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 23:26 »
I put my courgettes out today, planted them in compost bags that wree half full of nice black compost then the soil from our old compost heap which OH was transferring to my new pallet compost bins.  OH wanted to know why they were in bags, when I still have a half empty plot.

But by the time I've filled the rest of the plot up, there wouldn't have been room for the courgettes!!!!!

But I'm going to train them up canes like that lady in the Big Dig did.  she said the French do it that way, so I'll try it and see what happens

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Time to transplant??
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 10:43 »
I've never transplanted swede..does anyone know if this works, have nt planted courgettes out yet maybe next week ,squash too. Leeks in a couple of weeks when they've thickened up more .
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Gwiz

Time to transplant??
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 11:05 »
Quote from: "corndolly"
I've never transplanted swede..does anyone know if this works, have nt planted courgettes out yet maybe next week ,squash too. Leeks in a couple of weeks when they've thickened up more .

worked for me last year, even though you're not supposed to do it that way. we are giving it another go this year too. :D

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Time to transplant??
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 11:13 »
Thanks Gwiz ! I'll give it a go, have nt sown any swede seed yet, so I'll put some in pots and some in the ground.Next year I'll sow in pots only, when do you sow your swede seeds ?

xx
Time to transplant onions

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 13:05
by mumofstig
xx
Beetroot - to transplant or not to transplant?

Started by hasbean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 21:40
by SkipRat
xx
Can I transplant ?

Started by devon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 18:17
by boldondig
xx
Too Hot To Transplant?

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 17:05
by erainn

Page created in 0.571 seconds with 27 queries.