can anyone help me again????

• 9 Replies

earthmagic fairy

• http://bluebellcrafts.etsy.com
« on: May 06, 2007, 21:43 »
i posted a question early year to a problem that i had and got some realy good answers well iam back cause i havedone what you said and added manure to my clay soil it hsnt fully broken down and the [.know it all] on the next plot said you can only grow certain veg in them beds as it burns the roots is this true ????if so does any one know what i can grow in these highly manured beds ????? i can spend hour looking this up but i am on my own with 3 plot and i am selfemployed as a artist and getvery little time for reading please help thank you thank you :oops:
BLOOM WHERE YOU ARE PLANTED !!!

WG.

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 22:00 »
You shouldn't grow carrot or parsnip on freshly manured ground.  Everything else will love it.

dawninspain

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 22:06 »
Hello EMF -  you should not grow root crops eg carrots, parsnips etc, on  ground that has just been manured because they will 'fang' ie split and be mishapen.

For other crops it depends really on how old the manure was - manure that is still quite fresh can cause damage to growing plants by burning leaves etc. Was it well broken down and 'sweet' smelling?

If you have dug it in well so that there is not a layer of it lying on the surface I would think that any other crops will be OK.

Dawn

earthmagic fairy

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 22:16 »
thanks for you help the manure was quite fresh and is dug in but you can still see it in places cannot wait for some rain will dig it all again so it brakes down more after the rain all other comments welcome please

noshed

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 22:40 »
Fresh manure is a bit fierce for most plants but you could have a go anyway with anything but root crops. If you're sowing seeds of salad stuff for example - bung some multipurpose into the seedbed beforehand.
Squash, cucumbers and courgettes should be OK though but set the plants into a bit of multipurpose to give them a start.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

splodger

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 14:35 »
noshed is right about cucurbits - they thrive on lots of muck. it's common to make heaps of manure, cover with a light leaf mould then top dress with compost - cucurbits will love it.

if the ground and muck is lumpy then root veg will probably struggle your spuds will be ok but not great and greens will be fine. beans like a drop of the rich stuff as does celery. my toms are in large wooden troughs and have a good helping of manure at the bottom.

if you put in plenty of muck, your plot is less likely to dry out and if there was straw in it - it should help to break down the clay.

i would just avoid long rooted veg.

good luck :wink:

withnail

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 21:40 »
not trying to hijack this thread, but thought it kind of relevant and not worth starting a fresh thread :shock: ;)

ive just got hold of some fresh horse muck myself, would this be ok to stick under my runner beans if i cover it with about 6-8" of soil ?

cheers  :)
chin chin

shaun

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 21:54 »
yes nail no probs there.when you dig your hole or trench give it a good mix up with a fork then backfill over the top
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

WG.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 21:57 »
Quote from: "withnail"
ive just got hold of some fresh horse muck myself, would this be ok to stick under my runner beans if i cover it with about 6-8" of soil ?

8" seems a little on the deep side to me?  No?

I'd give it maybe 4 to 6".   Also remember that it will sink quite a bit as it rots so don't put in a thick layer of manure to avoid root disturbance.

earthmagic fairy

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 22:19 »
goodess its hard work this allotmenting i need a gardener or a man  :lol: but no one wants to know when you say you have 3 plots  :?:  i will get it soon i have broke the back of it  and this is my best year yet thanks to all your good help

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 36 queries.