How can I sterilise the soil?

• 21 Replies

Elsie

How can I sterilise the soil?
« on: September 26, 2009, 17:11 »
I have a 6x5 meter poly tunnel with 3 large raised beds. I have had a terrible season with mosaic virus on my cucumber and melon plants.  I destroyed the plants but I have had this problem previously so I think I need to sterilise the soil somehow, does anyone have any advise on what to use or what I should do to deter this.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: How can I sterilise the soil?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 17:30 »
I think it will be a case of replacing the soil unfortunately.

It is illegal to use Jeyes fluid for soil sterilisation purposes, and the only other way to sterilise soil as far as I know is to use steam - but this kills off all the beneficial soil organisms too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 17:37 »
The RHS seem to confirm this...

At the end of the season all crop debris should be removed and destroyed. New plants should be grown on a fresh site, but if tomatoes have to be grown in the same situation every season then the growing medium should be changed completely before planting the next crop.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0603/tomato_virus.asp

duriancake

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 18:03 »
I don't know if this info is any good to you but this year I've bought a packet of Caliente Mustard seeds from Marshalls Seeds.

It's both a green manure and more significantly a biofumigant. Therefore it's supposed to ''...suppress various soil borne pests and diseases by releasing naturally occurring compounds....and to out-compete pathogen microbes helping to keep soil diseases down'' (from Marhsalls' catalogue).

I'll be sowing it on a few of the spare beds for over-winter although this year I have had no specific soil borne diseases but did have tomato blight, cabbage white fly and leek moth. I used green manure for the first time last year and am just experimenting with this one this year as an addition to the phacelia. I'm also thinking of making up the rhubard solution for pest control but will first have to search through the forum to find the discussion on the method/concentration ratio.

Cheers.

Elsie

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 18:20 »
Thanks for the advice, I did think I would have to change the soil but was looking for a way around this. I think I will change the soil in one bed and try the Caliente Mustard seed in the other leaving the 3rd bed as a control to see which method works.  I will have to get someone to send the seed out to me as I live in France and its not always easy to get things over here.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly :)

duriancake

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 18:28 »
Hi

Just checked Marshalls - it's £2.95 for PP to European Union.

Hope that helps!

Elsie

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 19:45 »
Thanks for that I am gratefull for the help, I have just checked out Marshalls and I may as well get some other seeds if I am paying the delivery to france  :D

flipper_roo

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 19:56 »
Jeyes is basically the same as Armillatox, which also had its licence removed for herbicide/pesticide use within the EU in 2003. I looked on their site and it states the below

Sterilise unplanted soils and peat based composts by thoroughly wetting 3 days before sowing seeds and 7-10 days before planting seedlings. Hanging baskets, pots and containers will improve their water holding properties after treatment. 200/1

I dont know if its illegial but at least here is the information you would need to use it. Although not licenced i think as long as your not using it commercially no one would point the barrel at you.   http://www.armillatox.com/

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 20:59 »
Flipper roo, it is not legal to use herbicides or pesticides for an unlicensed purpose and we cannot condone this on the forum.

flipper_roo

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 22:34 »
Yorkie, thanks for your comment..

Jeazz, my first post about frontline for redmite on chickens will maybe raise a few feathers.    Im a law breaker Oops

Rather odd  armillatox provides the information on what you could do with it but shouldn't.  Ironic eh!

Potiron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 06:15 »
 Hi Elsie,
          You dont have to send to the UK for Mustard seed , Gamme Vert, Point Vert ect.
 all carry 'Moutard Blanche' which will do exactly the same as the Marshalls mustard seed. :)
Ears and Eyes open, Gob shut.

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 08:41 »
And here is how the RHS describe the use of Caliente Mustard for Tomatoes:

The ground in the tunnel was conditioned using a crop of Caliente Mustard, which has been specially bred to have significant fumigant properties. This crop was sown in mid October, then watered and cut down in spring 2007 before being rotavated in and sealed under black polythene for two weeks. Once in contact with moist soil the chopped plant material breaks down to release biologically active compounds that help to suppress weeds, root rot, nematodes (eelworm) and Veritcillium wilt. Once the covers were removed, the soil was raked in ready for planting.

The instructions on how to use Jeyes prior to the new legislation is not relevant. I have therefore edited them out. This implies that the site condones its use.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 14:28 by DD. »
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

tode

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 08:47 »
I believe that the "Approval" process is funded by the maker of the product (he has to pay for the tests, etc), which means that he won't bother to do it, even if the product is safe and effective, if its just for a small market.  Just not worth the expense.

Elsie

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 09:43 »
Hi Potiron
Thanks for the info will certainly check out Point Vert/Gamm Vert tomorrow, and thank you to everyone else who has offered advice ,  this forum is great especially to a novice like me :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 12:32 »
You have to differentiate between illegal and not approved - as I understand it Jeyes Fluid did not go through the approval process for use as a soil steriliser so that is why it is not approved, it doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Ivah there is no differentiation in law.  It is illegal to use a product for a purpose for which it is not licensed.

xx
Fire to sterilise soil...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 20:40
by Growster...
xx
Soil pH again.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 00:10
by viettaclark
xx
Top soil?

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 18:07
by Benandbill
xx
How much top soil?

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 16:52
by kermit

Page created in 0.886 seconds with 37 queries.