powdered lime

• 3 Replies

viettaclark

powdered lime
« on: September 26, 2009, 13:26 »
Wonder if anyone can help please?
I'm looking for lime to put on the brassica bed and sprinkle on the areas of grass where the chooks poo. I think it will also be good in the compost which is about 40% poo!
I can only find the Blue Circle hydrolised lime and surely that's not suitable?
Can anyone tell me what I'm looking for and where to buy it PLEASE?

tode

Re: powdered lime
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 13:43 »
Had a look on Blue Circles website, and apparently its just hydrated lime, so there should be no problem using it (some DIY places sell bags of cement/lime mix, which is not good, and expensive anyway. The contents should be marked on the bag if it's a mix).

I should imagine that if you look for "agricultural supplies" in the yellow pages, you should find someone near you who stocks both lime and quicklime.

Be careful when using lime in powder form, it's rather nasty if you breathe it in, or get it in your eyes.

I use quicklime on compost heap, its more effective than hydrated lime (more active), but you need to be VERY careful when handling (for this reason it exists in granular form as well as powder).

Good hunting.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 22:35 »
Our garden centre stocks it...... I would have thought most garden centres would/should?

Unless its one of those places that sells more of the fussy products rather than plants and gardeners' tools/equipment.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 00:08 »
Thanks people!
Now managed to do a bit of research and "quicklime" is burnt limestone (calcium oxide), hydrated or "slaked" lime has added water (calcium hydroxide) and common garden lime is just limestone/chalk (calcium carbonate) so as Tode says it's not so strong. All can be used for agricultural stuff but I'll probably go with the 25kilo bag of Blue Circle hydrated lime from B&Q for £7 although it's bulky.
But first I shall test my soil Ph!
(I think helping my daughter with her Biology has got to me....all those chemically words.....!!! :wacko: :D

xx
Using powdered egg shells

Started by wcndave on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2024, 20:43
by snowdrops
xx
Garden Lime vs Builders' Lime

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 15, 2012, 12:13
by Swing Swang
xx
LIME

Started by Crumbly Oldy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 28, 2011, 14:09
by sunshineband
xx
Lime

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 18:50
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.836 seconds with 36 queries.