How can I stop the squawking???

• 8 Replies

henrietta64

How can I stop the squawking???
« on: September 26, 2009, 13:04 »
I have 4 hens, two ex-bats and two from a friend who moved and was unable to keep them.  They have a wooden coop with nest boxes and a U shaped run which goes down the sides and along the bottom of the garden.  There is a mixture of shrubs and a hedge for them to scratch around in.  They have a big plastic feeder with mash in and can feed at will.  They get a scoop or two of mixed corn in the morning, plus bread and water later in the day, and veg leaves.

The problem I have is that one of the ex-bats squawks very loudly and for up to 30 minutes many times in the day.  I am worried my neighbours will complain about the racket and I will have to get rid of all the chucks. :(  I suspect part of the problem is that she is bored.  My husband has been giving her sweetcorn to shut her up, but it is not a long term solution.

Any ideas of how to keep this demanding ex-bat quieter before someone complains?

Thanks  :)

poultrygeist

Re: How can I stop the squawking???
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 13:25 »
Hi henrietta. Welcome  :)

It sounds like a classic case of conditioning  :)
She squawks, you throw corn at her. We normally recommend holding back treats until late afternoon or just before bedtime, partly so that they eat plenty of pellets or natural food in the day and partly so that they don't 'expect' treats until later on.

Being an ex-bat, she may even have behavioural problems from being kept caged up.
Not sure how best to remedy it, but a sudden noise every time she does it to distract her might work.

Rob 8)

henrietta64

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 14:13 »
Hi Rob

Thanks for the welcome and the advice - I did warn my husband that if we are not careful we will condition her to squawk for treats. We have dogs so I know about positive reinforcement!.  Training dogs is much easier than training hens :)

Will try a loud noise as a distraction - and also modify when they get fed treats.

Thanks for the help

Dawn
 :)

Feeb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 15:05 »
my battery chicken Pox was a noisey one too - i have just had to give her back to the rescue lady with Martha as Martha was bullying the other chooks :(  Unfortunatly Pox did squawk from the moment we got her to the moment she left but hopefully someone here can offer some advice

i didnt mind the squawking too much, but there we go! 

good luck xx Fi xx

Oliveview

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 15:15 »
Some days one of our white hens (leghorns?) sounds like an angry seagull- nothing will shut her up- we think she has a PMT moment :D
Pamela

Big Jen

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 17:04 »
I have a little dutch hen that crows :mad: :mad:
If you find out how to shut them up - let me know :)

Jenny
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 18:21 »
hi, i understand you may be worried about the noise level, and not wanting to upset the neighbours etc. As she has been given food when she shouts, she probably thinks this is how you ask for treats he he he , hopefully the positive reinforcement will work. Sometimes tho, we just have to accept its the way it is....some dogs bark more than others,...some children are louder than others...and it like that with our birds. As you know they all have different personalities, One of mine is like the union rep, she complains if she is late up, she complains if shes early, she complains if there is someone/something new ....but she isnt noisy. Dory on the other hand is like the town cryer!...she crows at everything. im not that worried about what the neighbours think because their children/teenagers/music/dogs and arguments make far more noise than dory. Thing is aswel, to be honest,Chickens do make noises.... the only way you can guarantee a quiet , well behaved pet, that dosent make a mess or sqwable is by getting a cyber pet :D tryu not to worry, maybe bring it up with your neighbours when you 'bribe' them with eggs, im sure they are not as bothered as you worry about. Stick with her, and listen to your instincts, your insticts told you about the food thing...enjoy your chickens, and love the fact that they are all different and not afraid to show it :D

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 20:28 »
You could ask the neighbours if it is a problem. Very likely they will tell you to stop worrying. Being woken at 3am may be a problem, but the squawk in the day may be quite desirable.

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 20:37 »
i have a ex batt like  that and i have to laugh at her and so do ppl in the surrounding houses , mine just does it for the fun of being loud  :lol: :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
Red Stop

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2015, 15:09
by pipandjack
xx
Egg eating - why and how to stop

Started by cammi on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 22:26
by shetan
xx
Dirty stop out...

Started by marygall on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 21:53
by raeburg
xx
stop fighting

Started by chelle on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2007, 12:45
by chelle

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 36 queries.