Question about cats

• 27 Replies

Debsie

• Experienced Member
Question about cats
« on: September 26, 2009, 08:52 »
we are hopefully going to soon purchase some chickens, my husband is a little concerned about how our two cats will react to them, one in particular seems to be a hunter gatherer. Any tips on how to cope would be gratefully received.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 08:56 by Vember »

Vember

Re: Question about cats
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 08:59 »
Hi Debsie :D

Welcome to the Hen House :D

I have 6 cats 3 of which are rabbiters and they completely ignore the birds, if anything they are frightened of them :lol:

They'll watch them to begin with but once they've had a peck they will back off :) Only thing I keep out of the cats way is babies, and they run off from them sometimes ::) :lol:

Get chickens they are the bees knees, and ducks are even better :D   :tongue2:

Sarah :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 09:10 »
our chickens have beenbetter than the dog for keeping cats out the garden...we have a very old cat, who is terrified of the chickens. it takes pepsi about an hour to pluck up enough courage to 'run the gauntlet'....the girls get her everytime ???. we have had about 3 cats come into our garden thinking about a free lunch....good grief can the girls handle themselfs!they work as a flock and beat 7 bells out of them...we've not had cats bacl since :D
like sarah says, i think you would have to watch little ones, but other than that , i would think it would be the cat that would come off worse
seriously tho...chickens are fab, you will love having them as pets :)

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 09:13 »
thanks for the advice, I def think our older cat will be frightened of the chickens, Daisy the younger one is more likely to be inquisitive, it sounds though like the chickens will probably have the upper hand!!

newhen

• my hens
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 09:17 »
hi, we had that problem so hubby made an enclosure with a roof for my hens to run round in.  It's fab they love it and I know they're 100% safe.  I will let them roam round the garden sometimes but only when I'm out.
2 Gingernut Rangers
1 Miss Pepperpot
2 Light sussex (bantoms)
and
4 ex battery hens, Katie, Sam, Lucy and Camilla.

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 11:29 »
Just thought I would tell you about a farm I visited the other day. Where to my amazement, four farm cats were walking around amongst the mother hens with their tiny chicks and didn't even so much as wave a paw at the tiny babies, who couldn't have been more than a week old!! :)

I definately wouldn't trust all cats to be as well behaved!  :unsure:

colette
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

bee

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 12:34 »
Our cat - and his visiting friend - were at first terrified. Harry then became jealous and hung around my legs when I was chatting to the chooks. Since then he has stalked them - at a safe distance - invited them to play (totally ignored by the chooks, who seem oblivious to his presence) and sniffed one bottom. He is a great hunter and drags home full-grown rabbits and any birds he can find, so I think the chooks are just too big to tackle. He now just sits and glares at them resentfully as they wander around 'his' garden! His chum just keeps a safe distance when they're out.

tode

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 13:52 »
I don't think its the size of prey that counts with cats (they will go for a rabbit or a hare), but they can sense if it's going to put up a fight, and most chickens, ducks etc aren't intimidated by a cat.

Love cats, but really they are quite cowardy-custards !

IMO it's best if the cats and chickens meet, that way the cat gets put in it's place right from the start !

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 13:55 »
I would have agreed with all of this until I got the new kitten.

He is a holy terror. He squeezes through the chicken's fence as if he is made of toothpaste and chases them left right and centre. They are bigger than him and to begin with they stood up for themselves but now they just cluck and flee!

Water pistol is on the shopping list.

'Ware bolshy kittens!
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

tode

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 14:02 »
He' not a reddish colour, with a bushy tail, by any chance ?   ;)

too many girls

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 14:30 »
did somebody mention cats and chicks? ::)

bee

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 14:52 »
Wow! Just love that picture.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 14:55 »
I would have agreed with all of this until I got the new kitten.

He is a holy terror. He squeezes through the chicken's fence as if he is made of toothpaste and chases them left right and centre. They are bigger than him and to begin with they stood up for themselves but now they just cluck and flee!

Water pistol is on the shopping list.

'Ware bolshy kittens!

ahh see, now kittens dont count...kittens play with their own shadow :blink:kittens are mad bouncy things with claws....i still think the chucks would tell them off tho!...i think its like every animal, you would have to be cautious until you knew.
TMG...lovely photo :D

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 15:13 »
thanks for all your advice, hubby has finally uttered that all important YES to my pleading and cajooling. Hoping to get the chickens in a few weeks time when I have some time off from work, would like to be home for a bit to help them settle in. Is October a good time to start or should we wait until Spring?

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 15:25 »
My kittens were a year old when we first had the hens ... they're still interested, and Magic the black male kitten still stalks them from time to time, but the hens only have to fluster/flutter about a bit and he beats a hasty retreat!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

xx
Cats

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 30, 2009, 14:15
by raeburg
xx
Cats....

Started by kirstie1978 on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 14:22
by mumofstig
xx
Cats

Started by uba on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2010, 14:54
by Ribbit
xx
cats!

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 17:49
by evie2

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 36 queries.