White fly on spring cabbage

• 5 Replies

boybeck

White fly on spring cabbage
« on: September 25, 2009, 22:05 »

I've just seen white fly on my newly planted spring cabbages.  Will they cause any damage? Do I need to do anything about it?

pushrod

Re: White fly on spring cabbage
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 22:10 »
At this time of year i would suspect that the oncoming colder weather might do for them.Depends how bad they are, numbers wise.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

boybeck

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 22:12 »
There are small clouds of them when I shake the plants.  Will they cause much damage?

pushrod

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 22:47 »
There are small clouds of them when I shake the plants.  Will they cause much damage?
They feed on the plant's phloem - sucking out the sugars that the plant has made and is transporting. The stuff they excrete can also lead to fungal attack - so yes they will weaken plants. Might be worth looking for a spray. Stores like Wilkinsons start discounting all their gardening stuff at this time of year so you might get a bargain. Alternatively you can mist them with soapy water (that usually does for the adults).

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 21:01 »
A table spoon of a  good quality washing up liquid (one that makes your plates squeak) mixed into a full watering can of water and sprinkled over the leaves should do the trick.
Try again after a week if they persist.
The washing up liquid  breaks down their (the white fly and the scales) waxy defensive exterior.
The scales (immature white fly)suck out nutrients from the leaf -this is evident by the yellow/pale green type blisters formed on the leaf.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 00:40 »
A table spoon of a  good quality washing up liquid (one that makes your plates squeak) mixed into a full watering can of water and sprinkled over the leaves should do the trick.
Try again after a week if they persist.
The washing up liquid  breaks down their (the white fly and the scales) waxy defensive exterior.
The scales (immature white fly)suck out nutrients from the leaf -this is evident by the yellow/pale green type blisters formed on the leaf.

The little s*ds.... makes it hard to see sometimes when there's so many - like an early snow storm!

A spray of soapy water, as you say, helps keep them at bay. Not cold enough here most years to wipe them out though.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy
clip
spring cabbage at last

Started by bravemurphy on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post August 11, 2013, 09:46
by devonbarmygardener
xx
spring cabbage

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 14:53
by DD.
xx
Spring Cabbage

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 17:21
by boybeck

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 36 queries.