woolley tomatoes-help

• 9 Replies

violet61

woolley tomatoes-help
« on: September 25, 2009, 11:05 »
Just picked a few nearly ripened tomatoes, few bush, few gardners delight & they are woolley! where have I gone wrong?  :( In all honesty the plants have been pathetic, no more than about 1/2 dozen per plant, was just hoping for a few nice ones!

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Re: woolley tomatoes-help
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 11:57 »
Hi Violet

I posted a similar topic a few weeks ago.  I don't know how to add a link - perhaps only moderators can do it.  But if you enter 'Tomato Flavour' in the search box you should find it.  The general consensus  was that the woolly texture was due to the bad weather we  had in July and August.

My Gardener's Delight weren't too bad, but the beefsteak and plum toms were a bit woolly.  However, they make a cracking tomato sauce for pasta.  I use an old Delia recipe with one chopped onion and a couple of cloves of garlic softened in a tbspn of olive oil for 5 mins, then add  2.5 lbs of toms, skins removed in boiling water and chopped, salt and pepper and a few torn basil leaves, then let the whole lot simmer on a low heat without a lid for one and half hours until it reduces to a jam like consistency.  Absolutely gorgeous.

violet61

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 12:08 »
That sounds mmmmm! thanks. :tongue2:  I thought might be weather, havent had much luck with most things :( The majority of toms are mostly green so thinking of couple jars of chutney :) Incidently found a good one in old delia Smith book!!!

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 12:40 »
That sounds mmmmm! thanks. :tongue2:  I thought might be weather, havent had much luck with most things :( The majority of toms are mostly green so thinking of couple jars of chutney :) Incidently found a good one in old delia Smith book!!!

That sounds really nice.  Could I get away with leaving the skins on as I have lots of very small cherry and sweet million tomatoes to use up?

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 15:13 »
You probably could - in Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers this week he made a tomato sauce by just grilling the tomatoes and mashing them up, and he didn't remove the skins first.  It depends whether anyone in your family is a fussy eater.  The skins come off in the cooking and furl themselves up, and you can't get anywhere chewing them.  Like sweetcorn, they pass right through you .

But I agree that life's too short to skin titchy little tomatoes :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 16:49 »
Maybe if you whizz them in a food processor the smaller pieces of skin would be less noticeable in the sauce :)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 18:38 »
Maybe if you whizz them in a food processor the smaller pieces of skin would be less noticeable in the sauce :)

You could, but you would then have more of a passata.  Delia's recipe suggests keeping back three tomatoes, roughly chopped, and adding at the end, to add more texture.  The chunkiness is part of the appeal.

bailey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 08:28 »
not sure if it will work for what you want but i use a fearnley wittingsall recipe for tom soup where the toms are cut in half placed in a dish with garlic and olive oil, put in the oven for a while and then crushed through a sieve, basicallly you just end up with a pulp of skin and seed in the sieve which can be binned,, then do whatever with tom juice,, i do a nice soup but am planning on doing a bog sauce this weekend,, adding onions ect.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 08:43 »
Hi Violet

I posted a similar topic a few weeks ago.  I don't know how to add a link - perhaps only moderators can do it.  But if you enter 'Tomato Flavour' in the search box you should find it.  The general consensus  was that the woolly texture was due to the bad weather we  had in July and August.

This is the link:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=44628.0

Anyone can do it, just highlight the URL in the box at the top of your browser, right click and copy it, then paste it in your post.

That's one way. Won't get too complicated at this stage, but please don't do it with very long URL's - ask first!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 11:36 »
Thanks DD.  I should have thought of that as I often include links in emails to friends like that.

On the subject of links, good ol' Delia (again  :) ) has a recipe similar to Hugh using roast tomatoes which I am going to try.  She includes a potato to thicken it, and makes sieving optional.    This is the link:
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/soups/roasted-tomato-soup-with-puree-of-basil-and-olive-croutons.html

Hope that isn't too long a link.  I did try it and it works.

PS I have just looked at the online recipe again and see that she tells you to take the skins off.  In my Delia Soup Collection book she doesn't do this and the photo of the roasted tomatoes quite clearly shows the skins on.  This one could run and run!

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 11:40 by barbarella »

xx
Tomatoes

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 21:42
by mumofstig
xx
When should my tomatoes go outside?

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2015, 21:22
by mumofstig
xx
outside tomatoes

Started by DadBear on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2007, 18:12
by WG.
xx
Tomatoes....

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 16, 2019, 08:32
by New shoot

Page created in 1.136 seconds with 38 queries.