Grazing rye as a grass path?

• 3 Replies

green_fingered_ash

Grazing rye as a grass path?
« on: September 24, 2009, 19:36 »
is it possible? i plan to mow it after it has reached a certain height, and just before it flowers? is it possible?

(i've just read grazing rye is an annual, would this mean that after the first winter it will die? or possibly after several times i cut it?)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Grazing rye as a grass path?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 22:44 »
Not sure about the feasibility of what you suggest, but if it is an annual that generally means it germinates, grows, flowers and sets seed all in the one year.  The specific plant does not survive more than one year, but any seed which lies on the ground may start a new cycle the following year.  If you plan to mow before it sets seed, it will not live into a second season.

Having said that, I'm not familiar with the plant grazing rye so someone else will hopefully be along to give you some more pointers.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 10:25 »
Grazing rye grows at an amazing pace in the Spring, that is probably a foot a week once the weather warms up so mowing would be difficult to keep up with. I am sure it would keep growing back until early summer but then it would give up.

Why not plant ordinary grass seed. It is cheap and would form a long lasting lawn path. Now is a good time to sow it.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 19:29 »
Seems to me that if you mow rye, it will be stubbly like a farm field and not pleasant to walk on, least of all with bare feet or sandals.

xx
What's the best way to keep grass from path spreading?

Started by sweet nasturtium on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 23:04
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Grazing Rye

Started by Bombers on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 21:48
by Bombers
xx
Hungarian grazing rye

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2022, 23:56
by Digsowrepeat
xx
Overgrown Hungarian Grazing Rye

Started by Hobnails on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 17:54
by Hobnails

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 36 queries.