am starting to really resent this chicken...

• 19 Replies

jo40

• Experienced Member
Re: am starting to really resent this chicken...
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 16:25 »
Hi
I had a maran that got really nasty after I lost my 'top hen', she decided she would be the new 'top dog - hen' and turned into a right little bully :mad:
I separated her for a week, then fitted her with a beak bit before returning to the flock. It worked a treat, she knew she couldn't dominate anymore its like she had a personality change :blush:
I want to remove the beak bit but plan to wait until I have a few days off so I can keep an eye on her.
Might be worth a try?
Good luck and we made the decision that for the sake of the rest of the hens we wouldn't allow her to live with them if she continued to bully, don't beat yourself up, you are in a no win situation, making choices for the best :)
Jo

karlooben

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 19:48 »
i would say give it time an make more feeding stations , use old china dog bowls ones that are big so the girls cant tip them or put up cut down drain piping { saw it right though the middle so u have to halves an srcew it up on a wall or somewhere works a treat . for got  to ask how many birds do u have and how big is the run they are in ?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 19:50 by karlooben »
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 19:56 »
I too know how you feel! i bought 2 amberlinks from a garden centre for £50 the pair  :blink: before i knew better! they were already feather pluckers when i bought them due to such small living quarters! It was heart breaking watching them pluck my other girls, so 1 went to find a new home with Grannie and the other, Roastie, got a beak ring fitted and hasnt been happier! they are a godsend! £1 for 8 from the domestic fowl trust.

Debbie
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 20:11 by chickenlady »
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feeb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 20:04 »
thanks guys, the chickens have a nice big run and are getting an extension this weekend :)

More food bowls wont help, Martha wanders around attacking any other chickens that feed, she stalks the whole of the outside area and if they leave the house she gets them

they are really unhappy i can tell and i cant offer them a nice lovely home whilst martha is being a menace

Elli has said she will take martha back and stick her in a pen with other chooks who are a bit more 'ghetto' than my ladies - i am leaving Pox in there because she gets on really fine with the other and i dont think we will have a problem there

its sad but necesary, we have waited for her to calm down and she just hasnt. 

karlooben

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 20:06 »
shame u didnt live closer i would have her for you .

question
need help starting out

Started by jarrode0 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 06:27
by joyfull
xx
Starting out

Started by moonpig on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 22:42
by BillyMc
xx
Starting again

Started by bastonjock on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 02:05
by hillfooter
xx
Starting to lay less

Started by Prod on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 09:11
by Prod

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 36 queries.