1 in 4 British gardens are visited by foxes

• 33 Replies

mashauk

Re: 1 in 4 British gardens are visited by foxes
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 15:06 »
We have a poorly fox on our allotment, very sad to see, something must have attacked it or it's got caught in something, as it's face looks very bashed up, and it didn't run away from us the other day until we'd nearly caught it, I'd love to catch it and take it to a vet or the RS, I know they can be a nightmare but I still don't like to see them suffering.

Foxy

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 15:54 »
In addition, its important to point out that often we dont spot the fox until its too late, so assuming that the fox is around is better that shutting the door after the horse has bolted :(

Mashauk, that is sad, might have a very bad case of mange -have you phoned the RSPCA?? :(

mashauk

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 16:27 »
No as I couldn't hang around to let them in when I saw him, unfortunately I would have had to go home, find their phone number, ring them and wait for them to arrive (assuming they'd agree to), I hope someone else may have, if not I'll do it next time I see him, I feel dreadful knowing he's possibly suffering but I only popped in to the plot on my way out, he didn't look well though.

poultrygeist

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 16:32 »
I think it would need to be rspca or similar to catch it. They can go ballistic and injure themselves.
Good luck masha. A good deed indeed. :D

Rob 8)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 16:50 »
we got in touch with the dog wardens and they lent a big cage to us..we caught the fox then took it to a wildlife rescue place :)

mashauk

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 16:56 »
Thanks for the advice, good idea, I wonder if they work weekends, I will try to find a contact number and see what their advice is, in case he's still there.  As we are not allowed to keep poultry they are not such a problem, but they do like to dig up our potatoes after we've planted them and kick them around, which is I guess why they turn up in odd places, they normally only do it the day after we've planted them, then get bored, they also bring us presents, mainly kids toys that they've stolen!

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 06:43 »
FOxeds in gardens are there because the life is easier in the urban environment than the country. This is because of food waste that is left lying around in towns. Also because Bill Oddie has persuaded lots of people that the fox is a cuddly creature who has sweet cubs and has a name like a pet. This is why Bill Oddie and springwatch has a lot to answer for.
I dont think foxes are likely to visit my garden. 6 feet walls and gundogs are likely to deterr and make them look elsewhere.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 07:38 »
Sorry to disappoint you but the six foot walls wil not keep them out  :ohmy: (Gundogs might though   :unsure: :unsure: )

Our site is securely fenced to 2.2m and last autumn we had a letter passed onto us by the Council, sent to them by one of our neighbours. She was complaining that we kept foxes fenced in and as they were wild animals we should be made to release them. Daft bat!

We see them almost daily, sitting sunning themselves in sheltered spots and drive the dogs mad at night. We even grown potatoes under nets to stop them being dug up.

Urban foxes are here to stay. Oh, and we never ever feed them BTW
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 07:41 »
As said, a 6 ft wall would be no barrier to a fox.  The dogs might be if they leave olfactory messages around ;)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 08:08 »
Sorry, can't have a thread that mentions Bill Odie and Kate Humble without also naming Chris Packham ...

:wub:
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Thrift

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 08:31 »
Foxes do look veryappealing but are a total pest!

Luckily, in Ireland, we still have hunting which doesn't dispatch too many but at least spreads them out a bit.

The rural fox has to travel further for his supper.....I think his biggest predator is the car!

poultrygeist

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 08:38 »
Just to jump to the defence of the Oddie once more, I'm sure a lot of people, like myself, see any wildlife as fascinating and worthy of wonder and respect, as long as they're not causing damage or harm. I suspect this is why a lot of people like to tempt them into their gardens, so that they can experience at close hand, something they would never be able to enjoy otherwise.
I hate spiders, but can sit and watch one for hours.  :)

Rob 8)

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 21:22 »
Just to jump to the defence of the Oddie once more, I'm sure a lot of people, like myself, see any wildlife as fascinating and worthy of wonder and respect, as long as they're not causing damage or harm. I suspect this is why a lot of people like to tempt them into their gardens, so that they can experience at close hand, something they would never be able to enjoy otherwise.
I hate spiders, but can sit and watch one for hours.  :)

Rob 8)

I am fascinated by wildlife but I see it for what it is. foxes are not cute and cuddly as Bill implies by naming them cuddles and fluffy.
It is not the facination with a beautiful creation that I object to but the personnification of animals.
Foxes are not cruel when they kill our chickens, they are driven wild by the smells and the noise and the fluttering. Only humans have the capacity to be cruel, animals are animals and live in the moment.

6 foot walls I agree wont keep them out butthe fact that the dogs are out and about at irregular hours and leave interesting smells all over the garden by scent marking should make the garden a scary option for them.

On Guard

matilda duck

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 22:01 »
That is a truly beautiful dog you have there!

Foxes will live wherever it is possible for them to live!  It's in their nature.  As are eating chickens and foul of any sort.
We all just have to be vigilant!

Thrift

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 10:09 »
What a fabulous dog!

Did he account for the fox himself ?

xx
Any experience with cockerals in neighbouring gardens?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 23:32
by Hensington
xx
OPEN GARDENS - this weekend, Harbury Nr Warwick

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 11:52
by mdueal
xx
Temp Coop Covers vs British Weather

Started by MidlandBrewer on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2017, 19:22
by Flowerpower136
xx
Another British Free Range Hen Farmer closing down

Started by Missie on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post February 23, 2011, 18:28
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 36 queries.