My girls were attacked last night!

• 27 Replies

compostqueen

My girls were attacked last night!
« on: September 22, 2009, 11:41 »
Timely warning.  My girls were attacked yesterday evening    My gobby girl kicked up such a racket (really bloodcurling noise) and my OH was out there immediately and the fox was still there, caught up in the run netting - thank God!

One of my girls lay dead, one was missing and the other was obviously injured.  I picked her up and collected the missing one who was heading for our back door by this time but thankfully uninjured.  The other was really traumatised and completely off her legs, her feathers were all over the place 

The fox got free and ran off and my husband went to retrieve the dead girl who turned out to be ALIVE, she was just playing dead!  Both girls made it through the night, I kept the poorliest one in the kitchen in a travel box overnight. Both were quite alert this morning, but one very wonky on her leg and very unbalanced, the other girls feathers were all over the place and hanging off in spectacular fashion, the run was covered in feathers.  I am very concerned and rang the vet who says to leave them well alone for now, and then ring him back if they get any worse   I was horrified   :(

nzdunn

Re: My girls were attacked last night!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:21 »
oh my god how alwful for you, its a pity the fox didnt stay tangled up in the wire >:(, a lucky escape then for your girls it was a good job 'gobby' lives up to her name it probably saved them all.   Really hope they recover well for you, keep us posted.   Nickyx

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 12:34 »
Gobby girl is just fine this morning and none the worse for the ordeal. The other two are cause for concern as one is limping badly and has a wing hanging down and the other has just lost loads of feathers. Both have pale combs. All are eating and drinking and the vet says to leave them be for 48 hours but to ring him again if any of their conditions worsen

I can't take my eyes off them this morning.  I have just raked up all the pulled out feathers and the girls must be really sore and bruised as you can see they've been ripped out of them. Poor girls  :(

Checking out electric fencing now  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 12:37 »
Get the vet to prescribe some antibiotic to make sure they have no infections from tiny puncture wounds that you might not be able to see.

Fingers crossed for them CQ !!!!

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:48 »
It is awful and very frightening (for us too).
I did exactly the same, electric fencing, couldn't settle until it was up and running. Now the fox knows they are there it will be back. I kept mine in the shed for a couple of days, out of site completely unless I could 'stand guard'.
Good luck with the fencing I believe it really is the best deterrent, our dog wouldn't go within 10ft of it after a couple of shocks. :wacko:
Jo

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 12:58 »
This is awful, what clever chooks you have though alerting you and playing dead  ::)

Nasty foxes, they should never have banned fox hunting!  :mad:

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 14:12 »
One girl seems much better and is out of the coop now and drinking. The other girl is all scrunched up

I shall get some antibiotic from the vet Aunt Sal as I suspect, judging by the state of their feathers, that they will have bites. There was no blood but there isn't always is there

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 14:19 »
No not always blood but foxes don't brush their teeth (only their tails).

Vember

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 14:20 »
Thank goodness they made such a noise CQ :)

Fingers crossed they continue to improve

Sarah :)

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 14:29 »
see if you can check for skin tears too.  Often the skin is torn when the fox pulls feathers.  Nasty creatures,  hope your hens are better soon.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 17:15 »
good suggestion, I'll have a look tomorrow but leaving them be for now

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 18:02 »
Those alarm cries are worthf heeding and a good thing your OH did!  I would think that vet would want to do something about that leg and wing, though.  Terrible experience for you all.  It's a miracle that everyone survived!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 19:08 »
Just caught up CQ. Well done to you and your OH for getting out in time. Sadly, a very rare ending to the story.
Hope they recover well and you get that leccy fencing to keep the fox out.

Rob 8)

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 08:54 »
The girls are up and about this morning thank goodness. They're in the small run at the moment resting up after breakfast. 

The lady next door was telling me that the fox took her rabbits that were locked in their run. She said it took them through the bottom of the hutch where it had bitten and scratched its way in, and as the bottom of the hutch disintegrated the rabbits had fallen out

I can only thank goodness that my girls loud cries were heard in time. 

Thrift

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 10:04 »
We had a terrible commotion from the hen house during the night with all the girls screeching and cackling. My OH dashed out, all ok but a fox in the field making a ghastly roar/screech.

It surely isn't the mating season yet is it? We often hear the vixens screaming but I thought it was too early.

Do hope your poor girls recover.....so awful!!!

xx
Putting the girls to bed at night !

Started by longbow on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 14:33
by Fifitrix
xx
My girls stayed out all night :unsure:

Started by gsc on The Hen House

43 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 10:15
by dizzylizzie
xx
my new young girls will not go in the coop at night

Started by wayne*goodman on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 14:27
by SurreyLass
xx
hen attacked by the other hen

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 14:32
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 36 queries.