will my hen get used to her new nest box?

• 5 Replies

virgotiger

will my hen get used to her new nest box?
« on: September 21, 2009, 20:54 »
i bought 3 new hens today and have put them on their own in a coop with attached run and was planning to leave them there for 2 wks or so, i have 3 other hens and over the weekend i moved them into a shed with nest boxes and perches, they have run of the garden during the day the new hens are in the old hens old coop and one of my old ones got quite distressed as she wanted to lay her egg in her old nest box which is attached to her old coop but the new residents where in there and i dont want to mix them yet she made a right racket and i kept putting her in her new nest box but she kept jumping out and going near the old one in the end i  closed of the nest box on her old coop and let her in..she laid her egg within 2 mins...will she be ok if i just let her get on with it and hope she gets used to her new box? dont want her getting distressed. thanks
4 kids,3 guinea pigs 1 bantam buff orpington, 1 warrens and 4 silkies...oh and a fella that thinks i'm weird!

Lydia-Maria

Re: will my hen get used to her new nest box?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 23:54 »
Hi,
I don't know if this is right,but,you do definitely want to keep your new girls seperate from your existing girls.
Would it be possible to put the old coop with new hens where she can't see the coop?
I would also try shutting her in her new home/house for a day or two and maybe putting her egg or a dummy egg in the nest box to encourage her.

I'm sure more experienced people have had this problem before,and will have the experience to advise better.
Lydia

virgotiger

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 06:41 »
no i haven't got anywhere else for the old coop to go heard it was best to keep new hens away from old. she's due to lay again tomorrow so i'll just leave her in the shed till she has done..just dont want her distressed..or making a racket!

Lydia-Maria

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 01:25 »
Hi,hows it going?

virgotiger

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 08:22 »
hi, well this morning i put  her mondays egg in her new nest box, put her in with it and left her shut in on her own for ten mins, heard her making a noise(her proud "i've just laid an egg" noise) had a look and she'd laid..so hopefully friday morning she will go in on her own..fingers crossed!! thanks x

Lydia-Maria

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 20:17 »
That's brilliant,I'll keep my finger's crossed as well  :D.

xx
Nest Box

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 18:19
by Madrat
xx
poo in the nest box

Started by Lucy Lu on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 19:23
by TeaPots
xx
Nest box q

Started by Yolky on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 00:01
by FCG
xx
nest box

Started by foster75 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 19, 2011, 20:38
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 36 queries.