Anyone ever used a petsitting company to look after their chooks??

• 18 Replies

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
We're going away for 2 nights next month with the people who we would usually ask to look after our girls so have no one else we can ask. I was thinking of using a pet sitting company but I emailed one and their reply was they can't specify a time to visit! I thought this was odd as surely they wouldn't expect to just turn up in the middle of the day to let the girls out when they've been stuck inside all night with no food or water???

Has anyone else had any experience of using these types of company's? We really have no one else we can ask and the neighbours aren't great although hubby did mention it to one of them I don't think I would trust them to do it to be honest.  :wub:

coco

• Experienced Member
Re: Anyone ever used a petsitting company to look after their chooks??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 22:05 »
no ... but where do you live?  I would happily nip round if you were close to me  :)

xx

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 22:07 »
Ah bless you  :) thanks but we're in Ipswich, Suffolk.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 22:08 »
Im afraid ive not used a company to look after my chooks, my neighbour will look after ours later this year (for the first time) and already im getting anxious! where abouts are you? if i were close enough i would do it for you, as i know how stressed im getting already!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 22:14 »
I know what you mean I'm really worried too, its my brother-in-law's wedding otherwise I wouldn't go but it wouldn't go down too well if I didn't turn up lol

We aren't near you unfortunately but thanks so much for the offer  :happy:

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 22:25 »
pop along to your local vets, a large one would be better initially, and often they have a folder full of dogwalkers and pet sitters, or ask the reception for a referral. I was idly browsing through one recently and found a few that also mentioned poultry experience. They normally charge around £6-£7 per visit. If you can afford to fit a auto pop hole opener (£100) this will make their job easier and not so critical what time they are able to check in the morning. :)

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 22:37 »
I've just been in contact with another company who said they charge £12 per visit and would be able to get here just after 8am. Bit expensive but they seem quite professional and I don't usually let them out til 7.30-8am at the weekends I guess.

pop along to your local vets, a large one would be better initially, and often they have a folder full of dogwalkers and pet sitters, or ask the reception for a referral. I was idly browsing through one recently and found a few that also mentioned poultry experience. They normally charge around £6-£7 per visit. If you can afford to fit a auto pop hole opener (£100) this will make their job easier and not so critical what time they are able to check in the morning. :)

I'll try the local vets though thanks. I was thinking of getting one of those openers, it will definitely make things easier but they are so expensive and also we have a side opening so not sure if it would work? Where's the best place to get them?

Whatever arrangements I make I know I will be worried sick the whole time, silly I know but they are like my babies  :wacko:

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 22:41 »
I would recommend here, they give very good instructions and are at the end of a phone.  I now have 4 of them and wouldn't be without them :)

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/?gclid=CMejlNLR_pwCFeMB4wodQU0tdA

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 22:47 »
Thanks they look great but sooo expensive :ohmy: Maybe in a couple of months  :D

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 23:00 »
I am worried sick about leaving my girls as i have managed to avoid going away since we got ours last May! although saying that my original 3 girls were 2 wks old when they came on holiday with us to Devon as i didnt trust anyone enough to leave them with! chickies had a great time as they learnt how to jump out of their brooder whilst we were away!  ::) they all a bit big now and have lots of new friends, so taking them with us isnt an option anymore!  :(

Debbie

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 12:06 »
It would perhaps be an idea if there was somewhere on this site were those who were happy to help look after & babysit other peoples chucks could put their names and the area they lived in so people could get in touch with each other and help each other out with holiday arrangements and such :)

just a thought

xx

dizzylizzie

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 13:08 »
thats a great idea....i will put my name forward :D
lizzie- north wales

too many girls

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 14:08 »
i can forsee a similar problem, i would very much like to take my kids away for a holiday (possibly to visit my mother in Ireland before she forgets who we are :lol:) only trouble is we don't trust my dad to look after the chickens (apart from the fact he'd find out just how many we've got secreted around the farm :D) he'd be ok with the geese and ducks as they were his idea and that makes all the difference :tongue2: Pip thinks if we get someone in they may well like it here too much and we won't be able to get rid of them when we get back :lol:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 14:56 »
i saw athing on the omlet website...the woman was hiring out her omlet and charging weekly rates, but i think she also took chickens in for hols....it as deffo on the website, i just couldnt find it when ive just looked!

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 18:33 »
Thanks guys for your comments, think i'll probably go with the company who quoted me £12 a visit, at least they seemed professional and you can actually email them while you are away for an update on how your pets are doing  :tongue2:

I saw the thing on the omelet site but you need to take them in your own eglu which we don't have plus I would rather they were looked after here really rather than being uprooted.

I know I'll be worried sick though glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way  :lol:

xx
Do chickens need company?

Started by Hedge on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 21:48
by andy46
xx
Glad of your company!

Started by Poolfield2 on The Hen House

48 Replies
Last post December 04, 2008, 21:04
by Evansent
question
I would like some company for my lonely bantam.

Started by Mrs Chicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 17:48
by Sassy
xx
Adopting a mature hen (to keep the last one company).

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2024, 13:16
by nerdle

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 37 queries.