Ventilation and drafts

• 7 Replies

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
Ventilation and drafts
« on: September 17, 2009, 21:59 »
Hi guys

What is the difference between a draft in the coop and ventilation? Our coop seems to have gaps all around the door, bottom tray of the perches and pophole and also under the nesting box lid. Thing is its not very tall so I would think all the gaps would be drafty and in line of where the girls sleep?

Now autumn has set in I'm getting a bit worried. Was going to leave them for ventilation but don't think this will be a good idea in the winter. Should I fill them in or just line the whole coop with cardboard or something over the winter?

Thanx

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Re: Ventilation and drafts
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 22:04 »
(Just before I get my jammys on...)

Hey NCM - I would say that ventilation is provided by the deliberate slots cut along the roofline (on my coop) to keep the air circulating, whereas draughts are, as you say, around the doors and things.

I have got a big old tarpaulin that I was going to lay over the coop when it gets really cold.  Just over from one side to the other, not covering the ends, so that the ventilation slots are left clear but the door and nest box has a cover over it to try to keep the draughts out.

Was also seriously considering a big old blanket  :D

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 22:10 »
I don't think there are any ventilation slots   ??? we have this coop http://www.henhouseworld.co.uk/ch101n.htm

Should we put some slots in if there aren't any?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 22:12 »
I have that coop NCM and it's pants.  I have added a draught excluder around the small door and drilled ventilation holes in the top of the coop.
Cheese makes everything better.

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 22:18 »
Ventilation above their heads is essential to remove moisture and refresh stale air and remove ammonia, etc.

The draughts need sorting out. If you place a wet hand inside you should be able to detect where the worst draughts are. Could you nail some thin batten round the inside of the door as a door stop ?
Not sure what to suggest for other areas.

They do keep themselves warm at night, considering they are evolved to sleep outside but they may need extra help in extreme subzero temps, especially when it's wet and windy too.

Rob 8)

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 22:22 »
I know lol its rubbish but you just don't know until you get the chooks do you, it looked so sweet in the picture before I knew what i was in for :tongue2: knowing what i know now we would have built one ourselves. Hubby has built them a lovely run around it so he may as well have built the whole thing. How they say it will fit 4-5 birds I don't know, budgies maybe!!!

Thanks for the advice, very helpful. I'll get it sorted at the weekend  :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 22:28 »
I stapled a strip of plastic from a drinks bottle to cover the gap in the door.  Seems to work well and easy to do.

Agree that you just don't know what you are letting yourself in for.  I was so bewildered by the choice and so constrained by a lack of money I bought this one.  :blink:

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 09:43 »
Also think about where the henhouse is sited, this will have an effect on whether they will be subject to drafts e.g. from a prevailing wind in the winter, and the main ventilation facing into it. We live in a very open area so have designed wind breaks out of hazel hurdling, and for the ducks we use straw bales. :)

xx
Ventilation

Started by Aidy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2010, 21:09
by Rubellite
xx
ventilation

Started by sprinter on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 09:20
by Selkie
xx
is this enough ventilation

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 23:34
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Ventilation

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 13:01
by Bubbles

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 37 queries.