Where do you keep your chickens?

• 11 Replies

newhen

• my hens
Where do you keep your chickens?
« on: September 17, 2009, 11:32 »
hi again,

Sorry another question.  I wondered where you keep your chickens.  Do you have them in your gardens or have land?
Thanks.
2 Gingernut Rangers
1 Miss Pepperpot
2 Light sussex (bantoms)
and
4 ex battery hens, Katie, Sam, Lucy and Camilla.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Re: Where do you keep your chickens?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:25 »
Ours are in a coop down the garden with an attached run. I know at one person round us who has them at home as well. I have a couple of mates in our allotment society which keep them on the lottie.
Best bet is to keep them where you are happy with them being and you can give the attention they deserve.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

nzdunn

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 12:35 »
i keep my girlies at home, we have a patio outside out back door and thats were the girls house is, its only a dog kennel so it takes no room up atall.   Nickyx

newhen

• my hens
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 13:22 »
great, sounds like mine will be fine in our garden. We have a large garden.
I have already got my chicken house and run, I am just a bit wary of upsetting any neighbours, but we are semi rural.. and natural chicken sounds is far better than me putting out awful music which they would hate. Just worrying.
Thanks for your replies.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 18:29 »
we are semi rural too and I dont feel our hens make nearly as much noise as our neighbours dogs or children - they can get a bit noisier when laying but generally are such quiet pets I can't see anyone complaining if your gardens quite big!

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 21:53 »
I agree with CattinJ, we have four chooks and they don't make anywhere near as much noise as other's people's dogs, children, blaring music, etc.  

If you are planning on a cockerel, then that's a different matter, but just hens are no problem.  We ran the idea of chickens past the neighbours (either side, couldn't give a stuff about the noisy b******s opposite, would drop a bomb on them if I could) and they were really excited for us.  Everyone keeps dropping by "just to see the chickens".  My girls are almost local celebs!

We are semi-rural too but, even so, I honestly can't see how people can grumble about a few chickens...

Brambles

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 22:35 »
I have my girls on a patio outside the front of my house at the moment (I rarely use my back door)...  My house is in a very rural area and our house and garden are in a large walled and gated area so no traffic passes, no people pass unless to visit!   They are almost under my bedroom window so I hear if Mr. Fox is about and my dog certainly hears if there are any unwanted intruders around my girls...
Sadly I have a more permanent site lined up around the side of my house, but I am dreading moving them as I shall miss not having them so close.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 22:38 »
Mine are up the garden too, but to be honest my neighbours didn't even know I had hens until I told them - they are so quiet!
I'd absolutely love a colourful little cockerel though, but daren't  :(

Plz keep us posted (and pics!) when you get your hens?

power_of_p3

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 23:08 »
Hey, 

Like dad says, they are at the bottom of the garden and make barley any noise...unless Winnie has just layed.  Sound slike you have b*****d neighbours like we do, but i wouldn't worry about upsetting them too much...they don't have a leg to stand on unless you have a cockerel :( which is the only reason we don't have one of those beauties.

I want them to free range sometimes, but I worry about them getting over the 6ft fence cause with the dog next door there prob wouldn't be much left by the time I got round there to retrieve one of our girls.  Not so worrie d bout Buffy, shes a silkie so good luck to her if she can ge that high, although she is still quite light lol ;)

A nice big ground area as a run on SHORt grass or soil is perfect I think, we put a little straw and wood chip in so it doens't get too wet and is easy to clean.

BB ~~jo~~

Sue33

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 10:52 »

our three girls are at the bottom of the garden, spoke to a few neighbours recently and they said when they do hear them, which isn't often, it's not too loud and they all quite like the noise, one lady said "aah they're talking to each other"  they also liked the fresh eggs we took round  :D

newhen

• my hens
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 11:26 »
thanks everyone that is really reassuring! 
My neighbours are vile... (on one side)  :tongue2: :tongue2:

I am only getting hens and have now got our coop and run up.  Still not sure where we are going to put it... hope to get my chicks on sat.  ::) and promise to post piccys. 

nzdunn

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 12:07 »
i felt abit like you to start with, i live in a very built up area sadly and was so worried at wot the neighbours would say, i only know my immediate neighbour and ran it by them to begin with, they were fine about it,  a few of the neighbours do know i have them but i dont worry about them now,  theres a couple of neighbours that i do treat with eggs and they love it, gave another neighbour 5 fresh eggs this morning and she was over the moon.   Im alot more relaxed now with them and it doesnt bother me, getting two new girlies on sunday so that will be 5, that will defo be my limit though until we move.   Nickyx

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
new chickens

Started by buggie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 21, 2009, 12:18
by Sassy

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 36 queries.