chickens and passion fruits

• 7 Replies

didan

chickens and passion fruits
« on: September 16, 2009, 19:10 »
i have recently been given 6 hens so i am quite new to looking after them i must be doing something right cause they give me beautifull fresh eggs every day.  My problem is that when i let them out to roam around the garden they make a beeline for my passion friuts, i know these fruits are not edible to us humans what i want to know is will they hurt my hens. does anybody know please.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: chickens and passion fruits
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 19:36 »
Are you sure? What I know as passion fruits are edible although they don't usually fruit in the UK, just flower. Where are you? Don't know about the plants though. Most chickens don't seem to eat stuff that is poisonous.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 20:03 »
I have eaten a UK passion fruit and lived :) :)  It was pretty tasteless though :)

Mine make a beeline for the crab  apples (I think thats what they are) that are all over my lawn at the moment :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 20:05 »
The last cold winter knocked my passion flower for six, it`s just about alive but i used to eat the fruit no problems. There`s not much in them compared to the ones grown for the table but they are edible. Blackbirds like them as well. :)

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 21:23 »
hi there!  ive got a psaaion fruit in my garden and the hens found one which was split open and ate the pips, i was a bit worried at first but they were fine so i split open the other fruits & let them have them too :D

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 23:11 »
Mine go for the dangly red flowers and purple seeds of the Himalayan honeysuckle and leap high in the air to get them, then nibble the small end seeds and discard the rest. They seem to know what's edible. So funny the way they make a frantic waddle dash straight for the bush when they're let out!!! :D

didan

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 19:08 »
thanks for your replies, my girls have eaten quite a few of the fruits and they do appear to be ok so i will try not to worry to much about them. i have always believed that my passion flower fruits were poisonous. its a shame because the plant is hanging with them

didan

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 19:17 »
my passion flowers latin name is passiflora caerulea, fruits are edible, though somewhat  insipid in taste, but the leaves contain cyanide( i knew something was poisonous) i have just read all that on wikipedia

xx
citras fruits

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 13, 2014, 18:50
by sussexchook
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner

Page created in 0.62 seconds with 36 queries.