Sad day...

• 3 Replies

Foxy

Sad day...
« on: May 03, 2007, 21:43 »
A sad day -one of my first and very much loved hens was taken in broad daylight by a fox - incredible as we all were outside. It has attacked now 3 times and decimated my neighbours flock. It tried again last night but got caught in our electric fence. So I am having to keep them all in their compound. I shall miss her.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Sad day...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 21:55 »
Sad news Foxy :cry:  It's impossible to keep your chooks totally safe  :evil:

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
Sad day...
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 14:23 »
A little tip for scaring off foxes is to have human hair, that has been cut, stuffed into a pair of tights and hung around the perimiter fence of the chicken run,  foxes are put off by the smell of humans.... Around the bottom of the run, or fence around the garden I would bury bricks and broken glass so they cannot dig under it, if they can get over the top, I would raise the height of the fence, do anything you can to make the foxes try someone elses garden for easier access, then let them worry about sorting their garden out.
My allotment is very close to a large field, which is a known hotspot for foxes, I used to always lock my hens up every night, but ever since Christmas time I've let them get on with it and foxes have never been near my garden and my hens are very safe!!!! It's the 2 legged foxes I will have to watch out for!! I have bricks and broken glass around the whole of my garden, the fence is really high and strong, I pee on the fence sometimes to get my scent on it just incase a fox does go wandering past, and just yesterday I planted loads of rasperry and blackberry bushes all around the outside of my garden so they will climb the fence. Not only will it produce fruit for my home made jam, but it will act as a natural deterrant for any1 thinking of climbing into my garden.. I'm sorry that you lost a hen, thats awfull and I hope if you follow any of my tips that your hens will be safe..... Good luck

Foxy

Sad day...
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 22:48 »
hi there
many thanks for all your tips - as you said Aunt Sally, you cant make your hens totally foxproof. We shall be doing eveything to foxproof our garden, it is lovely to see chickens free-ranging although we are going to keep them enclosed for a while. Luckily my cockerel created such a racket that we realised that something was very wrong -he is only a pekin but very brave!

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 36 queries.