Ohhhh.... noooooo..... :( :( :(

• 11 Replies

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Ohhhh.... noooooo..... :( :( :(
« on: September 16, 2009, 16:16 »
My poor silkie eggs :(

I candled them last night and found that all of them are live and wriggly :)  But I forgot to put the incubator back on :( :(  and by this morning they were stone cold  (70.4)....... oh I could (and actually did) cry.

I have to turn the incubator off as its too bright when candling :(

I assumed that they would be all dead as there was no movement when I candled them.... but I put the heat back on and looked at them a couple of hours later.....

They are all wriggling again :)   ...... BUT I assume that there will have been damage done.  They are on day 9/10 if this makes any difference.

Can anyone offer an opinion (not on my stupidity though) as to whether they may survive.
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Ohhhh.... noooooo..... :( :( :(
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 17:20 »
If they are still moving then hopefully they may be ok. One of my broodies got shut out of her broody box for an afternoon and some still hatched ok. Candle them again in a few days (please remember to turn it back on though  ;))
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 17:30 »
Thanks Joyfull..... I have now developed OCD with the switch.... and have taped it on as well :)

Fingers crossed for my babies :(

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 17:55 »
friends of mine had a power cut for 24 hours when they where incubating some eggs, they said it was the best hatch they had ever had.  :D

Fingers crossed
Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

too many girls

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 18:26 »
you are not alone, pip did exactly the same thing (for the same reason) the next morning she went to turn the eggs "mum? these eggs are stone cold" she was totally devastated when she realised what she'd done, we moved the eggs into a already warm incy untill the switched off one got back up to heat and hey presto, 10 days later a good hatch :D hope it's the same for you :)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 19:59 »
Oh guys.... thanks for the good news stories :) :)

I feel so much more positive now :)  I am resisting the urge to candle them again.... but its very hard.

I nearly put them in the Hovabator that was up and running, but was scared that I would either shock them or that the eggs that were in that already would get chilled :(  They are due to hatch on friday......

Oh well 10 days to go and we will see :)  Good luck chookies :)

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 20:04 »
Everything crossed! I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised! I had to swop broodies as the first hen left them, so they were pretty cold, due not sure now! :D

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 21:06 »
Thanks Foxy :)

I am leaving it far too late really to incubate :(  I went against the advice on here not too...... but couldnt help myself :( :(

I am set up though with  a large stable which I can put a smaller coop with heat lamp in.... for however long they need..... and of course they can stay in the house for as long as necessary too :)

I just couldnt bear the thought of not putting this last lot of eggs to use :(

To think I had killed them this morning was too much to bear :(

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 21:19 »
Are they large or bantam silkies? They should be fine in a stable, a little extra light in the morning will encourage them to eat and help them to mature. :)

Big Jen

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 21:23 »
My friends broody left 4 eggs in the nest when 2 chicks hatched. She wouldnt stop on the nest and wanted to go out with her new babies.
She brought the eggs to me to put in my incy. They were stone cold and I couldnt hear any tapping from them. One hatched the next day and went back with the broody.
I left the incy on and another hatched 2 days later!!!
The broody wouldnt have this one back :(  So I scrounged a day old chick off someone as company for it and started my brooder up again (It had been cleaned and put away for the winter)
Would you believe it the chick died :(  so I was left with one solitary chick to rear.
Anyway, it cried and cried. So I put it in with some 4 wk old dutch chicks and it is absolutely fine :D :D
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 21:37 »
They are bantam silkies...... a mixture of white, brown and a beautiful blue/grey colour which is what I am hoping to have some of really :) :)

The stable is lovely..... It has a small feed room that you walk through to get to the actual stable.... and there is a small window into another stable.... and a large window to the outside :)

There is also a massive clear corrugated panel in the roof, so loads of light will get in :)  Really is ideal... the horse was more than happy in there till we got an even bigger stable for him :)

There is also a little tack room off of the main stable.... I might put a pop hole in the door and fix some perches in there..... nice and warm for the winter eh???

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 21:39 »
Big Jen...... you really did try for that little chick :)

Thanks for yet another positive spin on my little disaster :D

I am feeling very hopeful now..... another friend told me that her 'bator went down to 60 for hours and they still got 50% hatch.....  I suppose that 70 degrees is not freezing cold..... I would be happy at 70 :D

Page created in 0.694 seconds with 38 queries.