Red mite in garden

• 51 Replies

Spadefighter

Red mite in garden
« on: September 15, 2009, 18:51 »
Hi, had a mite infestation last week so hosed out the coop before I gave in and burnt it. Hosing it out spread the b$%^ things into the lawn which means they are all over our feet every time we go out. Do I now have to wait 6 months or should I spray the area? Im assuming diluted Poultry Shield will do for them?

colliebird

• Experienced Member
Re: Red mite in garden
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 18:55 »
Hi, had a mite infestation last week so hosed out the coop before I gave in and burnt it. Hosing it out spread the b$%^ things into the lawn which means they are all over our feet every time we go out. Do I now have to wait 6 months or should I spray the area? Im assuming diluted Poultry Shield will do for them?

If you've got other animals, deflea them. My dogs have been affected by the
"#*&$~#" mites, do have I, got bite marks everywhere.
 :mad:
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

Spadefighter

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 19:00 »
Done that and new coop seems clear so far, just hundreds in the grass.

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 20:26 »
I would imagine they'll start to migrate toward the nearest source of food, which may well be your new coop.

Not sure what you can use other than the usual PS or other treatments.

Rob 8)

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 20:35 »
scats do creoSote, not as thick as the original stuff, but just as smelly.
It cost £33 for 25 litres but goes a very long way, buy the dark stuff not the creoCote.
It seems to prevent the mites returning into the pens.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 20:43 »
OMG!  :ohmy: i didnt know they would live in the grass! (touches wood) mites i think are the only thing i havent had to deal with, that and the dreaded fox! Im sitting here scratching as i type!  :blink:

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 20:57 »
I read else where someones garden is infested because of the wood chips she had delivered :(
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

Spadefighter

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 21:51 »
New coop isnt as big a problem as it was designed with these devils in mind, The nightmare is that they are getting into the human house on the dog and our feet. Really need to solve this while I still have a wife!! PS spraying tomorrow with diatom chaser I think.  >:(

mumsy

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 22:04 »
I made the same mistake by washing the coop...........I bought Cimetrol from Bowden & knights & sprayed the grass & patio, takes a few days to kill them off (they don't die immediatley) I sprayed a few days later to make sure!!!!! Once sprayed, cover with a taup so no rain washes away.  It won't kill the grass off.  Good Luck

raeburg

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 22:53 »
I took the ruthless way out and sprayed the cop with the flea stuff from the vets for furniture and carpets etc.  Oh boy has it killed the mites, thankfully none of the ones in that house are laying but it was scary to see how many mites there were as I'd only seen a few.

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 23:02 »
Be careful letting the hens back in. Some treatments can affect their breathing and may remain active for some time.

They're often too powerful for dogs and cats, and birds are much more sensitive.

ROb 8)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 23:06 »
OMG!  :ohmy: i didnt know they would live in the grass! (touches wood) mites i think are the only thing i havent had to deal with, that and the dreaded fox! Im sitting here scratching as i type!  :blink:

Debbie

Apparently Debz, mites can live without food for 38 weeks, anywhere!!!

And guess where I've spent the afternoon!  Although I keep looking otu for teh little blighters, I found them in my layers house this afternoon when cleaning them out.  Luckily they only seem to have colonized the first bit where the nest boxes and perches are, but the whole house got the treatment.  I didn't get in until 6.30 tonight and poor old Brian had to cook dinner!  But it had to wait until I'd shoved all my clothes in the washing machine and had a shower!! yucky things!!!!

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 23:07 »
Be careful letting the hens back in. Some treatments can affect their breathing and may remain active for some time.

They're often too powerful for dogs and cats, and birds are much more sensitive.

ROb 8)

When I first saw the clusters of thousands of mites on the perch in the coop, I saturated the perch with the only product I had in the house which was wasp and fly spray, and it worked!!  The coop was well ventilated and it had several hours to air, but the smell hung around even until the following morning.
I bought a big bottle of Strikeback spray and half a dozen foggers.  I'll be fogging my house first, then if there's any foggers over, I'll re-do the coop.

My dogs are done with Frontline or Advantage.  I just keep on showering and washing my hair :(

raeburg

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 23:32 »
It's the advantage stuff from the vets.  I kept the birds out for a few hours after I'd treated it.  From the numbers of mites that died I think the risk of the spray outweighs the risk of the birds being eaten alive.  I have been treating with louse powder, diatom and cleaning with Poultry Shield but it hasn't shifted them.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 23:40 »
The mites this year seem like a different strain, I have never known them like it, we tried all different treatment, but the only thing we have found to stop them is the Creosote from Scats, for what it costs it is a lot cheaper than all of the other treatments.

Michelle xx

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red mite the B**!!**!

Started by flocko on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 07, 2008, 09:46
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 37 queries.