manure ornot that is the question

• 18 Replies

glennroy

manure ornot that is the question
« on: September 14, 2009, 11:04 »
as a new raw grower iam confused. (nothing new!) this is my second year as an allotmenteer and have been reading as many books etc on the subject  as possible and have conflicting info on using manure/firtiliser on the plot where i intend to plant my spuds for next year.the majority of the guides say that manure etc is not to be used at any cost on land for spuds, while others (John Harrison) tell me to use manure. could any one give me some help,
The person who never made a mistake, never made anything.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: manure ornot that is the question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:10 »
I think that it's only fresh manure that you need to avoid, as long as its well-rotted you should be fine - especially if you are diggin in now for next spring. That's what I've done!  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:12 »
That's what we're doing too scabs.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 12:48 »
Spuds benefit from being well manured – as scabs said don’t use fresh stuff
Paul

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 13:01 »
I have put some fresh stuff on top of the space I have dug out my potatoes.  At the moment I haven't yet dug it in.  How long will it take to rot down if I dig it in?  Will it be OK to use next spring.  I am guess I shouldn't put my garlic in there as I am planning to plant those in November.

Zippy

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 13:15 »
have put some fresh stuff on top of the space I have dug out my potatoes.

Hi - I hope this doesn't mean you are planning to plant potatoes next year in the same place you  harvested this year? You need to rotate this crop definitely.

I don't use manure at all - too much hassle going to collect it in the car! A packet of green manure seeds fits in my pocket - much easier.

For potatoes I just strew the entire contents of my compost bin on the plot in autumn and allow the worms to do their work. Then in early spring I will sow a fast green manure like alfalfa or buckwheat, followed by around April when I plant the chitted potatoes half in the ground and half just in the rotted compost layer. I just chop the green manure crop and leave the cuttings to rot down and leave about a fortnight between chopping the green manure and planting the seed potatoes.

Then as the new potatoes form I keep the light out by covering with grass clippings through the growing season.

Potatoes are easily found growing at the bottom of the compost layer of top of the soil or just under.

I don't believe in doing work that worms will happily do without straining their backs!

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 13:31 »
No I am, not going to Potatoes where I put them last year.  I am not sure what I am going to put there (except not carrots as they don't like manure).  A man with a horse stables came and dumped it at our allotments.  And I thought since I was digging out my potatoes I could put it on top (I was kind of hoping it would work as a weed supressant for a while at least (although I am sure someone will come and tell me that that won't work)!  If the worms dig it on for me, then all the better.

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 20:18 »
Turn your soil over and pile the horse muck on top....its got about 6 months to rot, break down and be pulled into the ground by worms before you plant out your first earlies.
Turn the soil over again  afew weeks before planting your seed spuds.....no worries

titch

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 22:00 »
found a lovley source of horse manure, rotted for between 9 months to a year.

so do i get some now as things come out, and put it on the top of the soil and leave it til spring ?

if not what should i do?

help required (not with the digging or lumping around of said poo, but with what to do now  :wacko:)
just keep breathing................

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 16:21 »
Titch, first check that the manure cannot have been contaminated with aminopyralid before you get any - once it's on the soil then the damage will probably have been done.

If it's ok, and well-rotted as you say, spread it as you outline everywhere except where you will grow carrots and parsnips next year.

Sounds great  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

titch

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 18:25 »
thanks yorkie, tis organic as this lady particular about her horses - so all good - cheap too at 4 bags for £1  cheaper if we want more

have already checked out the source for the dreaded 'pyralid, as alerted all the plot holders about it when we go the lottie - just as well, cos few knew about it

guess i got some work to do in the coming weeks as stuff comes to an end

glennroy

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 15:57 »
cheers all for your info . iwill manure the spud plot and hope for bumper crops.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 16:16 »
I would say, it's often worth keeping an eye on fellow plotholders first. We get manure at the site regularly and I, like many others, took my fill, chucked it everywhere and thought 'ooh, free poo. Great!'

I and many others (including quite a few of the OBs) are riddled with Mare's Tail.

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 20:45 »
Ooooo, bad luck Scabs. We manure our potato plot in fall every year for the next season. Without manuring, which is your standard order for manuring in rotation, our spuds would be small and sparse. I also fling manure almost everywhere else, except in the carrot patch (hate hairy carrots).

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 21:59 »
I know I guess I am thinking a risk worth taking for now....I have plenty of weed problems.  bindweed etc.  Before I took it my plot hadn't been cultivated for as long as the OBs can remember.  So I am feeding my plot, it has done me well this season I think, for a newbie to all of this.

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
to manure or not to manure that is the question?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2019, 14:54
by JimB
xx
Manure question

Started by parsley on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 06:50
by parsley
xx
Manure Question

Started by Mafro on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 03, 2012, 20:46
by Trillium

Page created in 0.559 seconds with 36 queries.