Winter veg - misc advice

• 4 Replies

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
Winter veg - misc advice
« on: September 13, 2009, 21:05 »
My first attempt at some winter veg this year in my garden raised beds.  Have some red russian kale, sprouts, cabbage, perp spinach, mizuna and Hilde winter lettuce.  Some questions:

- my brussels were in pots for ages whilst I waited for space.  Went in end August and are finally taking off.  What should they be looking like right now (never grown them before).  Theyre about 1.5 feet high, with a few layers of smallish leaves hanging out, and a mass of small leaves forming at top  ???

- when is it best to harvest the kale - when the leaves are biggest, smallest, somewhere in between?  I'll need to wait until the caterpillars go regardless - they've had a field day on 'em  >:(

- got some winter lettuce & mizuna seedlings in.  Still v small but I reckon they should be fine.  Do i need to protect them from frost (cloche etc).  Bear in mind we get some pretty hard frosts up here by Nov / Dec.

Cheers

pushrod

Re: Winter veg - misc advice
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 22:47 »
  Some questions:

- my brussels were in pots for ages whilst I waited for space.  Went in end August and are finally taking off.  What should they be looking like right now (never grown them before).  Theyre about 1.5 feet high, with a few layers of smallish leaves hanging out, and a mass of small leaves forming at top  ???

Sprouts sound to be too small. I would expect them to be much bigger -  they probs spent too long in pots. When i have grown them in the past they have been in the ground by april IIRC.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

maverick

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:14 »
It's my first year so I'm no expert but my sprouts were planted on at the end of May. They're about 4ft tall and have well formed sprouts on lower part and newly formed towards the top.

I'm fighting off the caterpillars like mad and am still praying that nothing affects my harvest!

I'm sure someone more experienced will offer some advice.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 11:20 »
Agree they've been in the pots too long.

Mine are at their full 3ft height, sown March, planted out in June.

I think April's a little early, too soon can lead to blowing & bolting.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 12:47 »
I've tried some of my red kale. Took the new leaves from the top, which according to advice on packet, encourages more tender shoots to grow. They're about 3' tall.  I'll wait until later to really crop it, as it's covered in clouds of whitefly ???
I protect my winter lettuce with some net curtaining, worked last year, we had winter lettuce right through.......but we are blessed with warmer climes here :)
My sprouts are pretty big and I'm harvesting sprouts already, either to eat or for the freezer. There were some 'blown' ones to begin with but I took them off and gave them a good comfrey feed or two and they look good now.
Last year was a disaster for my brassica. All got eaten by pests or just didn't take off.
This year I was much more careful to net them with small mesh for butterflies and next I'm going to put stronger netting over for the winter to keep the pigeons off, hopefully >:(
We are looking forward to PSB, red kale, savoy cabbage(not sure when to pick these), sprouts, and hopefully spring cabbage.
Sorry to natter on about brassica.....it's our 2nd year and this is the 1st season of any success with them.......still lots to learn though.  Cabbage family rules supreme ::)
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

xx
Winter Advice

Started by TheOnlyGothInTheVillage on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 08, 2010, 12:49
by Babstreefern
xx
Winter squash - advice please

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2017, 21:13
by Thrutchington
xx
Lettuce: winter variety advice

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 02, 2008, 12:47
by paintedlady
xx
Advice on preparing my raised beds for winter

Started by tmm on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 13:55
by tmm

Page created in 1.066 seconds with 28 queries.