caponizing cockerels

• 16 Replies

agapanthus

Re: caponizing cockerels
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 09:44 »
caponising surgically is illegal and with good reason so many so called " back yard " chicken keepers thought that they would attempt this in the past and many birds suffered slits in thier abdomens and infection along with those attempting it removing the wrong bits that rightly so it was outlawed,, then some bright spark thought of injecting them with the " pill". this was a small amount of the female eostrogen in a tablet that was put in a brass syringe then shot into the neck of the bird .. after 2/3 days this had the effect of making the bird eat more put on more wieght and STOP crowing this effect usualy lasted for about 12 weeks ( more in some birds) the bird made what i can only descibe as a yeeeeerrrrrrrrkkkk .. noise .. yes you guessed it i have done it it with birds myself when a  "young un" this was also outlawed as some practicing keepers did not give the cockerals the neccesary 4 weeks free of the effects  to allow the eostrogen levels to dissapear and included the offal in the sale of these birds . it was pointed out to me that the necks and livers should be discarded when processing ,and tested birds where found to be in the food chain if memory serves ..big brother gave loads of scientific twaddle that most folks couldnt understand about the pills effects . and then banned the practice again rightlly so in my opinion// if you wish to fatten non commercial meat birds for the table i suggest you just bring them up on growers pellets and slaughter at 16 weeks ....but why bother  you can get meat birds as chicks for as little as 50p each   sacks of growers at £8.50 each slaughter at 16/18 weeks  or when the last bag of  feed runs out  ........here endeth the munty lesson
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:46 by agapanthus »

agapanthus

Re: caponizing cockerels
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 11:24 »
May I just add.....(the last post was obviously by Munty)...that if you don't want the chicks to grow too rapidly, just feed them normal layers with a bit of growers mixed in, This definitely slows their growth down and obviously they then have a longer life and not not incapacitated so much by their weight!! ;) ;)....he did'nt state that's how we do it, 'cos I don't like to see them too fat and struggling to walk!!!! :D :D

xx
Two cockerels or just the one?

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2007, 21:03
by Aunt Sally
xx
What to do with cockerels?

Started by em_emma on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 21:28
by joyfull
xx
COCKERELS

Started by rooster booster on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2007, 09:53
by rooster booster
xx
cockerels

Started by samuria on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 28, 2012, 19:12
by samuria

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 35 queries.