Some of my potato tubers have thin brown streak running through them ?

• 16 Replies

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
I will try and put a photo up later to show what I mean.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 20:20 by Ice »

pushrod

Is it the same colour as the skin and almost like a marbling?
eg

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:41 by pushrod »
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
That's just it and i dont have to take a photo, well done that person but what is it  ?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
That surely is the skin pigmentation running through the flesh.

If it's brown, it could be "spraing" and can be caused by a couple of diseases amongst other things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spraing
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

pushrod

That surely is the skin pigmentation running through the flesh.

If it's brown, it could be "spraing" and can be caused by a couple of diseases amongst other things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spraing

Must admit i had no idea what caused the colouration in my potato  :blush: , but it does look exactly like the skin pigmentation has "leaked" back into the flesh of the tuber.
I did search the net for answers and came across spraing but could not find any pics that were identical to mine. DD have you seen similar pics labelled as spraing. Also the outside skin was perfect - the info i read talked about/showed circular marks on the skin.
The other thing is it has only been in one potato out of about twenty so far. I only had five plants of this type so must have used more than one tuber from each plant. Plants were very healthy and cropped heavily. If it was a disease i would have expected it to be present in more of the tubers  :unsure:
Nash - were lots of your tubers affected? What potato type was it? Mine was rooster.

DD.

• Global Moderator
I was looking at the description in Doc. H.'s book recently & it was described as normal on the outside & discoloured inside. I'm assuming Nash's spuds were OK to look at.

Blight can cause discoloured flesh, before the spud rots completely, but this should be evident on the skin.

pushrod

I was looking at the description in Doc. H.'s book recently & it was described as normal on the outside & discoloured inside. I'm assuming Nash's spuds were OK to look at.

Blight can cause discoloured flesh, before the spud rots completely, but this should be evident on the skin.

Interestingly the closest picture i found to mine was one of blight - but the plants and neighbouring potatoes of different types all looked very healthy !

I'll be using a few more today so will be interested to see if there are any more like that. If i don't post again... assume its poisonous  ;)

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
Hi all, the variety was Arran Victory, no external signs, I dont know how many yet as i am eating each stored potato in rotation which is six different types.

Paul Plots

Have you tried cooking and eating it? I'm not suggesting you destroy the evidence  :blink: I just wondered if the taste was influenced??

If not hang on to the next one you get... pink mash could catch on if it is organic!!  ;)

Just a thought  :wacko:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

pushrod

Well, peeled another half dozen last night and there were no more pink ones. All were perfect except one that i had not noticed with slug damage and that one had suffered soft rot.
Must admit  i did not eat the pink one that i found, although it looked perfectly ok.

Paul Plots

Well, peeled another half dozen last night and there were no more pink ones. All were perfect except one that i had not noticed with slug damage and that one had suffered soft rot.
Must admit  i did not eat the pink one that i found, although it looked perfectly ok.

Hang on to it.... pot it up next spring (keep away from the other spuds).... if you can raise a crop of good tasting pink-inside potatoes one of theose large, weathly seed companies might pay a fortune for it....

I can see it now in 2011 catalogues = The first Pink Inside Spud exclusively from.......

It would sell like hotcakes!  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure that a peeled, disected spud will keep until spring! :tongue2:

Paul Plots

I'm not sure that a peeled, disected spud will keep until spring! :tongue2:

My paramedic brother-in-law No. 1 might have a "new skin" spary around somewhere  :tongue2:

gillie

In the U.S. we came across blue potato crisps.  No, they were not dyed, they were made from a blue potato variety.

Cheers,

Gillie

Paul Plots

In the U.S. we came across blue potato crisps.  No, they were not dyed, they were made from a blue potato variety.

Cheers,

Gillie
Sounds lovely....???? May be yet another reason for me to be staying home and keeping the old carbon-footprint a reasonable size.

xx
Potato Tubers

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 14:09
by Ivor Backache
xx
potato tubers

Started by GAZBEE on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 18:20
by Kristen
xx
keeping potato tubers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 22:05
by gobs
xx
best place to get potato tubers from?

Started by moggy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 30, 2007, 20:41
by TRACKS

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 37 queries.