Poland Chamois hen i have one heres a piccy of the happy couple!

• 24 Replies

Mini Ellis

• ''Th General''
Hi everyone,
I went to a poultry auction yesterday with my inlaws and they brought some new hens and a mother and 7 chicks (who are all fine)
And i brought this cock for £1 (i know hes a cockerel but hes cute!)

now the only thing is im not too sure if hes ill, he has been drinking alot but is very quiet and doesnt like other birds around him, and is happier in his own little run.
Hes got 3 different types of pellets just to see if he prefers one type or what - but is showing no interest in any of thease.
Hes not interested in bread or overly worried about scraps either.
Hes been de-mited and liced and sprayed for scaly legs - more as a precaution

But hes the most friendly bird and sat on my knee all the way home in the car
he likes people and will come perch on your arm/shoulder and will happily just sit and look around.

I think their is a possibility he may have worms but he is being wormed starting tomorrow

But i would love any information about him (not entirely sure about the breed i think he is a polish breed - but hes defiantly a show bird as hes in a brilliant condition)- feeding wise or just generally

Thanks

Hannah xxxx
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 22:09 by Mini Ellis »

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Re: Chicken help!!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 15:40 »
Hi There, he is gorgeous, and hes a Poland, i love them but haven't got one :(
     Did the other birds come from the same breeder? Perhaps he is just a bit out of sorts, and i dont think they see very well with all those feathers around the eyes, he does look in lovely condition though. One of the others who keep Polands will help you though. I hope he's ok :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

Vember

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 15:42 »
Hi Mini Ellis

Your right he is a poland his colour is Chamois and he's the spitting image of my boy :D

They are a really friendly breed I have a female also and she trips me up every night she does this on purpose so I'll pick her up :lol:

Have you tried him on mixed corn? Mine has the same as all the other birds layers pellets and a bit of corn :) He also loves meal worms :D

I'd give him a day or two to settle in then add a hen in with him see if that perks him up a bit :D

One warning he may be small but don't be fooled, I have got Leghorn x Poland chicks and Buff Orp x Poland chicks thanks to my "little" lad ::) 

Sarah :)

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 18:19 »
Beautiful bird.  Does he really have blue legs, or is that just the camera making them look that way?

Sarah, can we have a pic of a polland x orpington chick....are they like powder-puffs?  :D

Colette X
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

Mini Ellis

• ''Th General''
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 18:29 »
Heya,
yes his legs are quite blue but a light shade - hes gone to bed now, and hes been drinking lots and eating the corn out of the mix but not the pellets, so we will just feed him corn from now on.

Sarah:
Is their anyway of telling how old he is?
and do you know where i could get a lovely looking hen?
And im only saying hes a boy by what they said at the auction - how can i be sure?

Thanks
Hannah xxx
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 18:32 by Mini Ellis »

Vember

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 18:35 »
I shall find you a pic or two of mine then you'll be more certain but he is the spit of Tufty :)

Can you see any wattles yet? How red are they ? If you can harley see them then he's quite young :)

Brb with photo's :)

And I'll get one of the cross Orpie too but that's only a baby yet :)

Vember

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 18:47 »
Tufty

Tufty & Wife (Fluffy)

And for Colette here's Archie the Orpie x Po and Alfie the Leghorn x Po :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 18:50 »
They are lovely Sarah  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mini Ellis

• ''Th General''
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 20:14 »
Wow The General (as mine is named) is a spitting image of Tufty.

Sarah:
Is their anyway of telling how old he is?
and do you know where i could get a lovely looking hen?
And i'm only saying hes a boy by what they said at the auction - how can i be sure?

Also his legs are blue but more of an blue grey

Hannah xxx

Vember

Re: Chicken help!! - where to buy a Poland Chamois hen
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 20:45 »
Hi Mellie

The only way to tell really is by his wattles has he got any (just under his beak) and what colour they are a adult boy will have red wattles :)

I don't know about where to get them from in your area I hatched these two out from eggs, have a look through our breeder and egg supply list here to see if there is anyone local :

http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/poultry-suppliers/index.php

He is definitely a he as that is what all Chamois poland boys look like once they have moulted off their baby feathers :) If you google Chamois Poland chickens you will see birds identical to Tufty & Fluffy :D

Hope that helps

Sarah :D

Mini Ellis

• ''Th General''
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 20:53 »
Hiya Sarah,

His wattles are red so yes hes a lovely boy, but still very quiet so im going to try and sorce a hen for him quickly.
I don't think he is unwell but just a bit confused as to where he is.

I will have a look on that page now and hopefully find a girlfriend for him :D

I did quickly Google Poland Chamois and they do look like yours! they are so lovely, and i really like your chicks.

Do you have any good tips about keeping them or anything that i need to know - i have been reading up.

Thanks once again!
Hannah xxx

Vember

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 21:02 »
Pleased I could help :)

They can be more prone to head lice type crawlies than other birds due to their crests, so keep a close eye on the head area. A quick squirt with johnstons anti mite spray if you spot any then again 10 days later. I've had my two just under a year and I have only had the lice once but it best to keep checking :)

They aren't very good with ponds due to the fact the feathers cover their eyes, I have found fluffy treading water in the duck pond  :ohmy: :blush: Luckily I was there :D I have now trimmed her feathers above her eyes to help her see and make sure she stays out of the ducks area :D

Because of the feathers and not being able to see very well they can be more skittish than other birds and sudden noises will frighten them, I speak to them as I'm approaching as creeping up on them sends them skywards  :blush: :lol:

They love cuddles both boys and girls every opportunity to sit on you so you can fuss them :D

Hope you manage to find him a girlie don't forget to post a picture of them once they're settled :D

Mini Ellis

• ''Th General''
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 21:35 »
Thanks very much for your help :)
Just put him to bed and he seems alright,
I have mited him and made sure to do his crest so hopefully he will be fine. :)

I will keep mine well away from the pond! but glad your hen is staying out of the ducks area!  :happy:

Yes i always talk to him before i pick him up so i dont scare him

I'm now looking for a Mrs for him and i will defeinatly post some pictures for you to see of him and his wife. :D

Just one final thing - is your cockerel loud - if he ever crows? and do you have any idea why The General is very quiet at the moment, and is their anything wrong with his legs being blue - or bluer

Thanks for all your help its greatly appreciated!!
Hannah xx :)

Vember

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 22:32 »
Tufty does crow but no he's not overly loud and thankfully he waits till 7am before he starts. Bobbie D (my old Light Suss Cockerel) used to crow at 2 am  :ohmy: :mad:

Here's hoping that your General is the same :D

Can't see/ think of any problems with his legs, Tufts have a blue hue to them :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 22:39 »
My Appenzellars have blue legs Mellie, so I wouldn't worry about it.  He is certainly a pretty boy!!!!

xx
how do u up load a piccy??

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 17:22
by Aunt Sally
xx
I think this piccy is frostbite?

Started by hillbilly on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 12:58
by Sarah Mitchell
xx
Footprints in the snow (Piccy)

Started by mumsy on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 24, 2008, 21:39
by Jellyhead
xx
heres pics of my bantams

Started by ESSEXBOY on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 20:36
by ESSEXBOY

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 38 queries.