Seed brands - which are best?

• 43 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Seed brands - which are best?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 16:11 »
I used to buy T&M but quantity in pkt has got less and price has got higher :ohmy:
I had problems with wrong seeds in tomato pkts this year, plus some poor germination on other seeds from Fothergill's :(
Had good peas and lettuce from Suttons, but I will be going back to Seeds of Italy (my favourite supplier) for most next year again :)

pushrod

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 16:57 »
Ok i'll stick up for T&M (someone has to!)

The tomato seeds i buy from them are £2.99 for 8 seeds, but they are F1s so a bit more fiddly to prepare. However the germination rate is brilliant. 100% every year - even when i save some til the next year (after opening) i have still had 100%. Never had a single failure and also once got 10 seeds in a packet. I always save the receipt and packet because i would write off to them if there was a problem, but i have never had to. The other thing is i have never seen another company suppling that particular type.

Mind the other week i bought 6 packets of them at wyevale for just 50p each  8)
(Hope i don't have to eat my words next year)

Edit : just done a google search for the particular tomato and found This sure looks good value! Anyone ever heard of Eseeds before?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 17:15 by pushrod »
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

poppie

• Experienced Member
  • my little princess
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 17:12 »
I've had excellent germination with seeds from gardenbymail.co.uk - very cheap (lots of packs under 50p), quick service and good customer relations. Sorry, can't remember how to put a link on.
gardenbymail.co.uk is great,ok there not fancy,if you want beetroot,you get beetroot.
peter is very helpful if you have any problems,and you get plenty of seed.my germination has been great,and i probably over planted some things as i wasnt too sure to begin with.
i even mentioned to them that i was doing a project with another site and he sent me FREE samples.
its nice to be nice

Goosegirl

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 17:14 »
Anybody tried Chiltern Seeds? Don't know their source for veg seeds but I don't think they are mainstream. Agree about adverse comments about T+M seeds - and their plants aren't up to much either. I never buy from them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

gillie

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 17:55 »
"Anyone ever heard of Eseeds before?"

Yes.  They are aggregators.  It is useful if want something very special and don't know which company sells it.  The link you gave was to a T & M packet of Ailsa Craig tomatoes.  This is a well known variety and eseeds gives four other sources for it.

Cheers,

Gillie
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 17:58 by gillie »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 17:58 »
Moles seeds are hard to beat for value if you need quantity, (share time).

Their germination rate is top notch too.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

pushrod

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 18:43 »
"Anyone ever heard of Eseeds before?"

Yes.  They are aggregators.  It is useful if want something very special and don't know which company sells it.  The link you gave was to a T & M packet of Ailsa Craig tomatoes. 

Cheers,

Gillie
DOH must have been having a senior moment  :blush: thought i was looking at cristal! I see they are selling cristal at over £4 !

Domino

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 21:10 »
Anybody tried Chiltern Seeds? Don't know their source for veg seeds but I don't think they are mainstream. Agree about adverse comments about T+M seeds - and their plants aren't up to much either. I never buy from them.

Chiltern are great for unusual stuff but I think they are a bit expensive.  They are a small but long established firm still run by the people who started it.  I don't know where their seeds come from but they buy in bulk and pack them themselves.  Growing instructions on the pack are limited or not given, depends on the variety (at least that was the case last time I had some).

I tend to use DT Brown or Marshalls for most of my seeds and Suttons Speedy seeds for cut and come again salad mixes because we like them.

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 21:36 »
I purchased seeds from Moles Seeds and they have been fab - two different types of lettuce. Lollo Rosso and another one that's deep deep red. Neither have bolted and they've been in the ground for weeks. Full marks!
Also best place for asparagus crowns which is how I found them in the first place (via this site).

I will def buy more from them next year.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 21:49 »
Don't  tend to buy T&M expensive and IMHO not reliable. I have had the best results from Suttons recently but in the past  good results from Marshall's . Will probably go with Suttons for next year as I have more faith in them also we will as a society looking for the best discount.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 22:04 »
I have to back Pushrod up here & say that I've never found a problem with T & M.

Yes they are a bit pricey, but I usually buy mine from them in the sales.

I think they sometimes get picked on purely because they are T & M.

Mike.white

• Experienced Member
    • Mike White
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 10:20 »
I've used Moreveg.co.uk more this year - great customer service, sensible seed quantities and varieties. No problems with germination either...
For the latest on the BIG project, read my blog.

lucylike

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 13:25 »
Our allotment society uses Kings Seeds so most of my seeds are from there.
No problems with them so far.

http://www.kingsseeds.com/

Pompey Spud

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 15:04 »
Same here Lucy.

Plus there's a big discount as our allottment are members of the National association.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 16:21 »
I'd definitely recommend realseeds.co.uk - I've only had one packet from them with poor germination, they have some good, unusual varieties, and everything seems to come with really good instructions.

I haven't had a problem with T&M seeds, but they can be pricey.  Delivery for seeds seems to be quite quick but delivery for things that aren't seeds (onion sets and so on) can be a bit slow - although I haven't really got anything to compare them with on that front, so I don't know whether or not they're worse than anyone else.

xx
Seed brands

Started by Henwoman on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post December 16, 2011, 15:30
by allotmentor
xx
Cheaper seed brands

Started by uba on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 22:20
by uba
xx
Your opinions on the brands of compost you have bought - 2013

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

136 Replies
Last post October 03, 2013, 13:42
by Kristen
question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 38 queries.