Read the instructions!

• 15 Replies

Christine

Read the instructions!
« on: September 09, 2009, 20:23 »
Decided to have my first go at jam today. I must learn to read the instructions.  Decided on marrow and ginger as there is a glut of marrow here.

A small matter of not stirring right to the bottom of the pan whilst boiling as per Val's instructions. However I do believe that for a first attempt it's edible.

Is it just me or do other people miss out vital bits of instructions when trying something new in the kitchen?  ???

wighty

Re: Read the instructions!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 20:36 »
Yes, use a funnel to help keep your jars clean.  We made our first jam last night and decided to just 'ladle' it in.  Made a right mess.  On the third jar we found our funnel and used that.  Perfect. Nice clean jars.  Always follow the hints is my new mantra.

matilda duck

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 21:10 »
Well done on your Jam!
I can almost taste it here :D.
Instructions are for those who don't know what they are doing      so Ste tells me :tongue2: :tongue2:......until it goes wrong..............now what did it say?? :tongue2:

Christine

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 21:26 »
Thank you for the idea of the funnel. Yes - that hint wasn't there.

However, it was a little bit - erm thick and ladling things like thick cut marmalade down a funnel is an interesting picture.  :D

There's a lot more to learn on the jam thing.   :blush:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 21:50 »
You can buy special funnels that have a larger...errm 'opening' for the jam or chutney to fall down :)

wighty

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 13:50 »
When some bits got stuck in the funnel we just poked a skewer down and this usually sorted the problem out. (We were using blackberries).

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 14:00 »
When I used ordinary funnels, if the fruit got stuck, I'd use the handle of a wooden spoon, but now I'm 'posh' I've got a jam funnel!!!   :D

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 14:04 »
As a fellow newbie jam maker, I share your excitement...

oh, and I too burned the bottom of the pan!  ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 16:30 »
i still do!  I'm not very good at jam, except the plum jam I made 2 years ago.  that was the best I've ever made!!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 17:11 »
Crab apple jelly time coming up soon! That and marmalade are my faves to make.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 19:15 »
I love making marmalade, but tend not to put any rind in mine..............Shredless :D
I do mixed citrus so i can make it all year round, not just in spring (?) from the bitter oranges :tongue2:

wighty

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 20:23 »
Paul loves marmalade but one jar usuallly does him for about six months.  Can you do small quantities? The recipes I've found  would probably do him for a couple of years. I hate the stuff.

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 09:59 »
Decided to have my first go at jam today. I must learn to read the instructions.  Decided on marrow and ginger as there is a glut of marrow here.

A small matter of not stirring right to the bottom of the pan whilst boiling as per Val's instructions. However I do believe that for a first attempt it's edible.

Is it just me or do other people miss out vital bits of instructions when trying something new in the kitchen?  ???

I was making marrow and ginger jam as well, and the instruction I didn't follow was to keep a close eye on it while it's boiling.  I turned away for less than a minute when it was bubbling near the bottom of the pan and turned back to see that it had boiled over and was burning merrily (with flames!) on top of the hob.  Aargh!  Luckily I caught it before any damage was done, but I have definitely learnt my lesson.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 21:27 »
I love making marmalade, but tend not to put any rind in mine..............Shredless :D
I do mixed citrus so i can make it all year round, not just in spring (?) from the bitter oranges :tongue2:

Sacralige!!!

The peel's the best bit!

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 22:25 »
oh, and I too burned the bottom of the pan!  ;)
We all do! Making damson jam the other night, took far longer than expected simmering and releasing the stones, stirring all the time. Added the sugar and brought to the boil, still stirring. Then, instead of about 10 mins took about 20 mins to reach setting point - still stirring it occasionally! And it still stuck on the bottom of the pan. John is getting to be an expert on removing stuck on jam on preserving pans. ::) ::) ::)
Val
Recipes Galore!

xx
For onions read leeks?

Started by totalnovice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 13:25
by totalnovice

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 38 queries.