outdoor toms

• 44 Replies

Sunny

outdoor toms
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2007, 13:26 »
They ARE Gardeners Delight, they're about 8cm with only 2 true leaves is this normal?  :?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
outdoor toms
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2007, 13:48 »
to be honest I would of thought they would be a bit more progressed by now, I think they will be ok, might be worth hardening them off slowly and getting in the new home in a few weeks. I assume they are in a big enough pot.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
outdoor toms
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2007, 14:25 »
Quote from: "Sunny"
Um a bit worried now!! planted mine 5 wks ago and they're only tiny things, been wondering why they seem so small and if they will ever get tomatoes on.  :(   Even so they are in a plastic greenhouse outside now.  Why are everyone elses so big? did I plant them way too late?

Do you sowed 5 weeks ago ? I sowed mine back in Feb ! but I'm lucky heated propagator and greenhouse, yours will soon catch up. Like Aidy says are they in a big enough pot ? 3" is about right.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

ruffmesiter_69

outdoor toms
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2007, 17:40 »
ours are bursting to get out now, and may well go tomm orow

Bigbadfrankie

outdoor toms
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2007, 18:02 »
I have Tornado's but they are only out on warm days as yet I might risk them out tonight for the first time as its going to rain so no frost. I am hopping they will do well as it will free up the greenhouse for more exotic stuff next year.
always have a target
and an objective.

Trillium

outdoor toms
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2007, 23:58 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
The Allotment Book, Andy Clevely. He reckons that the roots of outdoor toms poison couch grass

I also have some ocean front property in central London that you might like to buy.

Don't believe Clevely on that theory; it's full of ****. I'm forever pulling couch which dive for the good soil around the tom plants, and I plant only outdoors. A very thick mulch slows the couch a bit, but it's still there until I dig it out.

splodger

outdoor toms
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2007, 13:53 »
half my toms went out last week - if i can find more space, the rest will go out next week. i am trying companion planting this year so my toms have basil plants for company.

i've put out a few cucumbers too and a handful of peppers.my first batch of celery is also in.

i am able to water freely on my plot so have almost finished eating my first sowing of radish and have started on the baby lettuce leaves this weekend - they are delicious. my ist lot of early spuds have flowers on now - so they won't be long.

i love eating my garden :lol:

ruffmesiter_69

outdoor toms
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2007, 08:32 »
decided to keep the toms in for at least another week just to make sure,

David.

outdoor toms
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 15:58 »
I've got about 100 in the cold frames almost ready to be planted but still worried about frost.

Got a dozen red alerts about a week ahead that I'm now putting in Morrison's flower buckets (8 for 99p) with a hole drilled in the base, and I'm putting these in my empty corrugated iron compost bays which have Rylock fencing suspended over and old carpet ready to throw on top at the first sign of frost (together with early potatoes in plastic bages & french beans, cucumbers, courgettes and runner beans [growing up short canes] again all in pots).

Got more coming on in the greenhouse and will put some more seed in in a couple of weeks for a very late crop.

We make a lot of tomato sauce.

shaun

outdoor toms
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 16:02 »
a 100 toms thats a hell of a lot there mate if there outside you need at least 12" between each plant
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

David.

outdoor toms
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2007, 19:18 »
Got nearly 1/2 acre allotment.

WG.

outdoor toms
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2007, 19:19 »
Quote from: "David."
Got nearly 1/2 acre allotment.
and a family of ?? to eat them.  Do you sell them or what?

David.

outdoor toms
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2007, 19:43 »
We can afford to be generous to friends, repay favours with flowers & fresh veg, make a lot of wine from my own fruit, grow my own pea & bean poles, provide food for the hens, make preserves and sauces, have a large grassed area full of wild flowers, etc.

P.S. I forgot the 40 ft span willow tree with shady grassed are underneath, the WW2 30 x 20 ft pig sties, the apple trees with grassed areas underneath, my parking/turning area, where I store straw collected 2ce a week from the stables where my daughter rides, etc.

ruffmesiter_69

outdoor toms
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2007, 20:20 »
some of our varieties have got leggy how will the suffer because of this?

David.

outdoor toms
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2007, 18:19 »
When I prick out tomatoes I plant the seedlings as low as possible in cell trays, then when planting into pots I drop the seedling right to the bottom, and when planting into open ground (especially with 'leggy' plants) I plant as deep as possible (a bit difficult if planting through polythene mulch, but in general open ground not a problem), to get as many roots as possible coming out of the stem as high as possible.

xx
outdoor toms.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 20:56
by ozziebob
question
Outdoor Toms', Too late?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 21:20
by billathome65
xx
Windbreak for outdoor toms.

Started by allot2learn on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 22, 2012, 11:44
by stompy
xx
Outdoor vs. indoor toms

Started by FatMog on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 05:14
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.845 seconds with 36 queries.