Do you think we are going to get any more frost? Discuss..

• 23 Replies

mandycharlie

• Experienced Member
    • Blossom and Sunshine
I just can't make my mind up on this question.

What do you think?

crowndale

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 08:05 »
I remember one year when I was away at school and in feb we were wearing t shirts (well the posh boarding school equivalent- short sleeved school uniform dresses!) and yet come june we had snow, this was back in the early 70's.  I am hopeful of no more frosts but would never say never!  That said I am planting like there are no frosts to come!!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

tomato-joy

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 08:19 »
I'm in SE London and I've never seen an April so hot.

My onions and shallots and strawberries and raspberries are going crazy in the ground and my seedlings are reaching for the sky in the greenhouse - I can't wait to get them in.

However, I bought a gooseberry a couple of months ago and put it in just before a frost, and it died.  :cry:  AND it had been shooting very hapily ion the spare room in its little plastic bag...
trying to be organic...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 09:06 »
I'm hoping we don't  :!:

My sweetcorn and runner beans are ready to be planted out.  I'll hold off till next week, but they will suffer if they have to stay in the pots too long  :!:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 09:26 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I'm hoping we don't  :!:

My sweetcorn and runner beans are ready to be planted out.  I'll hold off till next week, but they will suffer if they have to stay in the pots too long  :!:

same here.. waiting till 12th to plant them outside.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 10:48 »
I'm much further South than you SG, so I'll go for it and keep my fingers crossed  :shock:

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 13:12 »
i want to plant stuff out but am determined to hold off a couple more weeks.we got our plot in may last year and didnt start planting out while june and had really good crops so i know i have plenty of time :)

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 19:19 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
I remember one year when I was away at school and in feb we were wearing t shirts (well the posh boarding school equivalent- short sleeved school uniform dresses!) and yet come june we had snow, this was back in the early 70's.  I am hopeful of no more frosts but would never say never!  That said I am planting like there are no frosts to come!!

Didn't they have snow at a Cricket match in Derby one June in the 70's?

We got caught in sleet one July, mind you were were on top of Striding Edge at the time :D

I blooming well hope we don't get any frosts now as all my beans and most of my Toms are in as well as pumpkins and courgettes. I'm crossing my fingers but also banking on being able to re-sow some things if we do get a late frost :roll:
If life gives you lemons...wrap a dog turd in newspaper and set fire to it on Life's doorstep.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 19:44 »
Hey Sadgit and others , who have bean plants , I'm only just sowing the seeds ,for me planting will be towards end of May and start of June, I wonder who will have best crops?
 Lets hope we all have veg we enjoy eating.I'm sure the amount of hardwork we put into growing the veg = the amount of flavour and sense of achievement ,we have on our plates come eating time.
Good Luck to us all in this year of predicted hot dry weather !
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Growbag

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 20:05 »
No frost, certainly not in North Hampshire or I'll eat my frozen strawberries and french beans.   I guess there has to come a point where it's in for penny in for a pound and that time came about 3 weeks ago for me.    Where I live we've not had any rain at all for the last month so my concerns are about my empty water butts and the increase to my water charges.
From fork to fork

Plot No 2

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 20:09 »
I have also planted out my courgettes this weekend in the West Midlands. There was a chill in the air last night and looking at one exposed plant, something gave it a bite as the 'baby leaf' are shrivelled. The manture leaves are looking beautiful.

As for frost: we are not having any rain until at least end next week which will give the plants good time to get plants. And warm up the soil. I believe if we have some frost baby plants might suffer some, but big plant will survive because the soil is warm enough to protect the roots and inner leaves. Some damage is still possible. But frost will struggle to 'stick' and cause to much damage.

crowndale

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 20:16 »
Quote from: "Axe Victim"

Didn't they have snow at a Cricket match in Derby one June in the 70's?

We got caught in sleet one July, mind you were were on top of Striding Edge at the time :D

I blooming well hope we don't get any frosts now as all my beans and most of my Toms are in as well as pumpkins and courgettes. I'm crossing my fingers but also banking on being able to re-sow some things if we do get a late frost :roll:

This was probably in 1972 or 73, not sure which one but I remember the couryard I was allowed to sit out in and that was in my first and second year at the school.  The school was in bournemouth, talbot heath, wonder if it's still standing?!

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 20:18 »
I agree Growbag , we are on a water meter TOO and here we look after 14 Adults with learning disabilities , so we are very concerned that we have had only one decent rainfall in April.

I remember 1976 , when we had no rain here from March till September and we collected the bathwater to put on the veg.

We have lots of empty water butts !

But we persevere and try to beat the enemy be it Frost, insects,blights,birds , rabbits and weeds ! God Bless Mother Nature !

WG.

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 20:24 »
Meanwhile ... just outside the Arctic Circle, at 600ft in the foothills of the Grampian Mountains ...

I hereby go on record as being daft.  I sprouted some dwarf beans on kitchen paper and stuck them in the ground as soon as they put out a root.   I noticed today that one or two have surfaced so I'll be very pleasantly surprised if they survive.

I still have about 3/4 of the seeds in the packet, just in case.

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 21:53 »
Most of the country No!. They odd strange place like Rossendale in Lancs, quite possibly up until June! Weird place!
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

xx
Frost

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2019, 18:19
by mumofstig
xx
Frost

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 11:58
by Christine
xx
first frost!!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2010, 15:44
by aelf
xx
FROST

Started by phaxl on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 07, 2007, 10:22
by muntjac

Page created in 0.9 seconds with 36 queries.