cockerals

• 13 Replies

nzdunn

cockerals
« on: September 08, 2009, 13:08 »
I just wanted to ask a question about cockerals, i know alot of people on her hatch their own eggs but wot do you all do with the cockerals if your not keeping them, do the majority of you use them for the table, do you find you can sell cockerals easily and from wot age can you usually tell if the baby chicks are indeed males, i know eventually my girls will go broody and am just thinking ahead of wot to do, yes it does sound lovely but i would be worried about all the males and knowing me they would all hatch out boys.  nickyx

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
Re: cockerals
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 13:14 »
from experience, cockerels seem to be tricky to sell unless they are specific breeds. Everyone wants eggs but not all want a shouting cockerel or to breed.
We have in the past found homes for them by giving them away, but we do also fatten them up and use for meat. The meat can be a bit tougher if the birds get a bit older.
As for sexing them they can show hints when their feathers come through and as their combes grow and colour up and there is also a technique called venting but I havent tried it as I dont really know what Im looking for.

I believe the ratio of eggs hatching is slightly in favour of cockerels around about 40/60 but am not sure on this.

Im sure some one else will have some further info for you :)
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

nzdunn

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 13:18 »
wot age can you dispatch a cockerel for the table       nickyx

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 13:38 »
Have a look on a recent thread, 'Utility birds for the table'
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 13:38 »
Hello Nicky,
When I bought my 3- 5 day old table chicks, I was told at 16 - 18 weeks, but have been considering giving them an extra 10 weeks, bringing us up to Christmas week.
Sloooow cooking will do the trick hopefully.
It's definitely better than th 42 days allowed for supermarket chicken!
cathangirl

pushrod

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 14:17 »
wot age can you dispatch a cockerel for the table       nickyx

Depends upon the breed and how they are grown - usually anything anything from 10 to 20 weeks and depending on what you have in the freezer ;)

Experts can sex them at day old because of the way that their feathers are coming through on their wing tips
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 17:29 »
I believe that they say if the lead wing feathers are longer and pointed it is a hen but if they are rounded it is a cockerel..............Dont put too much store in that until some-one has confirmed it...I may have it the wrong way round ::) :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 17:45 »
I thought if the neck feathers were pointed they were boys and rounded for girls  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 17:56 »
I believe that they say if the lead wing feathers are longer and pointed it is a hen but if they are rounded it is a cockerel..............Dont put too much store in that until some-one has confirmed it...I may have it the wrong way round ::) :lol:
Hi
Wrong way round  ::) the hens feathers are more rounded and neater in chicks, where as the cockerels are more scruffy, also in most breeds the hens feather up a lot quicker. I usually go by the combs as in most breeds the cockerels get bigger and redder a lot quicker, but this doesn't help much if you only have a few chicks.
In my experience most pure breeds take around six months to fatten up, cost a fortune to feed the right food and don't taste very good  :(
Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 20:09 »
some breeds can be sexed from wing feathers, alternate long then short for hens, all same length for cockerels.

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 13:17 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:This is getting REALLY confusing now :lol:

darcyhen

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 14:45 »
Hi,

I couldn't find the utility birds thread. Can someone help?

I have three speckled sussexs cocks and i think they are about 14 weeks. They are big but i am not sure how much meat there is on them. I am planning on giving them 2 more weeks and lots of corn and then the table!

Does anyone know what i should expect from this? I think they are a mixed use bird but will they be very lean? They are completely free range over a big garden. Any tips on how to fatten them up?

I also have a aruacanya cock but i shall be keeping him - looks like no meat at all anyway. They are are also two opringtons but very young. Are they edible?

Thanks
Michelle

darcyhen

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 14:57 »
Hi,
i found the thread! Very interesting. Seems maybe 20 weeks might be better. 

Will consult calendar to double check age. Also mentioned growers pellets so will look at those too.

Seems like speckled sussex should be a good table bird. Our Lavendar arucanya is already crowing occasionally so i am going to try and fatten up the sussex cocks until 20 weeks or the first crow!!!

Michelle

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 17:26 »
growers pellet are pretty good and will help the boys put on the needed weight. I havent left a bird for the table any longer than 20 weeks.

xx
Oh not again Cockerals!!

Started by slowef on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 22:34
by Foxy
xx
cockerals

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 05, 2009, 10:54
by Roughlee Handled
xx
are cockerals too big

Started by Ducky on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 14:14
by Ducky
xx
cockerals

Started by chloe on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 16:57
by chloe

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 38 queries.