Waterless plot - water butts

• 20 Replies

TTG

Waterless plot - water butts
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:26 »
What solutions do you guys have for a site with no mains water supply? I take it a water butt or two would be needed but what other solutions have you come up with? I guess any watertight container such as a plastic bin would do. I take it a butt would fill up over time just by being left open. What do you reckon the water usage for a typical half plot in the NW England? That means plenty of rain in the summer! >:(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Waterless plot - water butts
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:41 »
The best way to collect rainwater is to have guttering off a shed or greenhouse roof.

Others may well be along at some point to offer more interesting ideas  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 12:15 »
It would not fill up over time without collecting water over a wider area, as Yorkie has indicated.

A 3 foot deep barrel would only fill up by itself if there was 3 feet of rain! (Assuming the top was wide open). That's a lot of rain.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

zazen999

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:34 »
But over the winter you will find that lots of containers around the plot do fill up!

I have a couple of boxes that are plastic and came from an old job of mine where soil samples came in them, they have lids that hinge on the sides and the opening is down the centre. I keep these on the plot and the water drains into the box through the gap and doesn't evaporate when the sun shines. They have been constantly full all summer; save the few hot weeks we had in June.

Also, as well as waterbutts, leave buckets anywhere where water can drip, and collect it that way.

We have a collection water butt, and decant most of it off into other containers around the plot over the winter; so that the waterbutt is rarely full.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 14:24 »
Before buying a water butt and guttering for my shed, I calculated that it would take 3 inches of rain to fill my 25-gallon water butt by collecting the rainwater from just one side of my 8-foot shed (yes, saddo I know!).

This means that on average (Hah!) you could expect to fill it at least 10 times a year  ( much more if you live somewhere wet). 25 gallons equates to at least 12 watering-cans full.

You can add further water-butts using a linking kit, or of course draw off excess into other containers for storage.

Hope this helps, and that you have a greenhouse or shed, otherwise you are in Heath-Robinson territory with corrugated plastic sheeting and planks of wood etc (but why not?)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Zippy

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 14:45 »
As well as guttering on the shed feeding into my water butts, I have put guttering along the front edges of my compost bins and constructed sloping lids which catch the rain and run the water into the guttering and into a container  which I empty into the main water butt when I go down to the lotty.

Basically any flat roof can be sloped slightly and used to catch more rainfall.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 16:51 »
We don't have a water supply either. I've only had my plot (about two thirds normal size) for the last few wet summers so haven't been that tested regarding the amount needed, but am experimenting with using as little water as poss. I only water things when first planted or if wilting & so far this year have needed about 3 barrels worth of water which I take to the plot in smaller containers & the harvest has mostly been very good. We aren't allowed sheds either, but have thought of constructing a rain catcher with sheets of corrugated plastic, wooden legs & guttering, but haven't got round to it yet.

TTG

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 17:46 »
On the plot there is an old shed however the plot is to be divided between me and someone else so one of us will end up with the shed. Although first on the list I will be second to view the plot so guess who will probably get the shed and the run-off for water. Unless the guy is up for negotiation.

I guess it is not too bad since I live in North Lancs a well known wet area. This should mean I can get away with little extra water other than for watering in plants. These are all things for me to find out by trial and most definately error! Expect further questions over the next year or so. :)

noshed

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 18:00 »
You can link the butts together via a siphon through any cheap length of hose. Water finds its own level, as every schoolboy knows, so as long as they are roughly the same size and level you will be OK.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 18:00 »
Hi TTG - it would help us a lot with all those future questions if you could put your location in your profile

Its also a good idea (where possible) to upturn cut plastic pop bottles and push into the ground next to the plants roots. That way you can water direct into the bottle instead of using more watering a wide area.  I have 3 water butts on my plot (not rigged up to guttering as yet) and we dont collect enough water
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 18:30 »
Someone managed to spread out a large square of plastic sheeting, tacked at corners onto sticks, and the sheeting was adjusted so one side tipped right into a barrel. this setup was thrown together right before rain and they got a respectable yield since they had no shed or greenhouse to collect water from. I believe they used something like 8 ft square of sheeting.

TTG

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 17:08 »
Hi Peapod, I have added my location or at least where my location will be shortly as I am first in the list and a plot has just come up to be split into two half plots. It is just a case for me to visit and choose which half plot to take on. The other guy saw it earlier in the week. The question is to take it on with a rickety old shed or to take the half plot without. Tools can easily live in a car boot (benefits of an estate car) so storage is not a problem.

I like the plastic sheeting idea, I've got an old tarp already with eyelets and a rope so can easily rig something up with sticks nicked from parents place. Then just put it up when more water is needed and the rain is forecast. Probabl end up in someone's garden with the wind.

How long would a standard water butt when full last for typical useage. Bear in mind it is north Lancs and it is not known for its dry weather (at least for the last few summers). I reckon if it rains then you don't need to water as much. In fact even if it doesn't rain that much do you just really need to water when the plants look like they need a bit more? I'm not talking at the wilting stage but you can usually tell when a plant is a bit stressed if you water then is that sufficient. My old Grandad used to water his toms twice a day (v early in the morning - 4-5am -  and late in the evening about 9pm). They were the greenhouse and the outdoors ones. I don't think he watered much more than that but could be wrong as I don't get up at 4am  like he did.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 17:18 »
Ok, I am in tropical Lancashire where the sun always shines  ;) I have mains water but rarley use it, my set up is two wheelie bins (don't ask how I came to have them) connected to each other and they are in turn connect to a couple of old water tanks I salvaged from skips, total cost £0. My beds in the greenhouse are straight into the ground, even during hot weather the roots are down in the ground so don't need to be watered twice a day, once every couple of days is the norm, I have enough water to water in transplants and water the seedlings over the course of the year, all these tanks are fed of the greenhouse only.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

bailey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 20:51 »
 friend of my wifes has the same situation, the answer we came to which has worked quite well, not brill but,, we managed to obtain some water butts with one open end, we then went on freecycle and got hold of some large fishing umbrellas, these were opened turned upside down and tied to the butt, works like a very large funnel and does catch the rain from a big area,,
though the umbrellas could do with being replaced now or a better idea,, but it has worked through out the dry spell and kept her veg watered, and luckily during the windy period the butts were fairly full so the weight helped in keeping the brollies in place..

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 21:43 »
Thats one clever idea!

xx
keeping water in water butts

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 11:25
by Ivor Backache
xx
Water Butts

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 14:00
by paintedlady
xx
Emptying water butts

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 21:30
by Christine
xx
Water butts freezing?

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 09:06
by Weston grower

Page created in 0.926 seconds with 37 queries.