Newby seeks advice

• 4 Replies

Lynda_T

Newby seeks advice
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:32 »
Hi firstly what a great bunch u all are and what a uselful site!

Im new to keeping chicken getting organised at the mo (soooo eggsited) and so far ive got the coop and im fencing an area off around the coop to give them more space.  Im planning on getting 3 Brahma's from my local farm, just young birds to keep for eggs and pets ofcourse!  :)

First wee thing - My coop says would keep 4 birds however only has nesting for 2??? Should i just get 2 birds i was planning 3? The Cocoon2000 measures incl nest box and roof overhangs approx 203cm wide x 81.5cm deep x 102.5cm high (80" x 41" x 32")

Here's my second wee dilema, the fence around is around 3ft...conflicting reports say my hens may jump this! My garden fence is 6ft however at a section its around 4ft and the dog next door is pretty fiesty so i dont want to risk the birds jumping/flying over???

Should i net it off? I am planning to have one wind clipped??  I will be getting my hens in around a week, and i just want to make sure i have it all sorted b4 then.

thanks

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Re: Newby seeks advice
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:44 »
Hello Lynda.

I am pretty new to this chicken-keeping malarkey too, having only had my girls for just over a month but, for what it's worth, I can give you my thoughts until someone more experienced comes along...

I have four birds but a nesting box for two - it is not where they sleep (well, they're not supposed to but mine are ex-batts and, hey, if they want to sleep in the nest box then I'm not bothered) but just where - in theory - they go to do egg things so you don't need the same number of nest boxes as you do hens.

I have learned from this site that two hens is a bad thing - if something happens to one you are left with only (lonely) hen - so I'd stick to your plan for three.  

Hens can jump, apparently over six foot fences if they put their minds to it.  When you say "the fence around" then I assume you are talking about the fencing around the coop and the run that came with it?  If so, then 3ft may or may not keep them in, depending on how badly they want to get out.  If you don't mind them doing a Great Escape bid into the rest of the garden then it'll be fine.  If you want that little fence to keep them in, I'm not sure it will!  :D

Your garden fence where it's only 4ft needs to be higher - to keep the chooks in but also the dog out!  If the dog spots the chooks, it'll be over that fence pretty quick.  The girls might fly over but hearing the dog might be enough to keep them away.  I'd be more worried about the dog jumping over.

You can clip their wings easily enough yourself.  See here:

http://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/guide.php?view=Chickens&cat=Chicken%20Care&sub=wing%20clipping

That's my humble and inexperienced offering!  Good luck and enjoy your girls!

nzdunn

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 13:00 »
hello and welcome to the forum, how exciting getting your girls.   Dont quote me on this but from wot ive read brahmas are very big/heavy birds and that due to this dont tend to be able to  jump, obviously when fully grown  but we will see wot everyone else says about this.    Looking forward to your pics when the girls arrive.     nickyx

Lynda_T

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 14:03 »
Thank u both, im gonna get some netting and put that up over the areas of concern.  t
The dog next door wont get over my garden is higher up the wee fiesty scotty would have to jump over 6ft lol Its just higher at my side, hence now plans in motion to get some netting.
I dont mind them getting into my garden just a wee bitty worried they may eat plants that may make them sick lupins etc?  Hence my thoughts of just giving them a designated aread.

Thanks again

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 14:16 »
I don't know about them eating plants that are bad for them, I would have thought that they would instinctively know what to avoid - I am sure someone else can advise on that but, really, only let your girls loose in your garden if you are not bothered about the chaos that they can cause.  Mine are digging up the flowerbeds, kicking mud everywhere, and systematically scratching up the lawn - don't under-estimate the power of chicken landscaping!  :D

xx
newby...some questions...

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 08:57
by poultrygeist
xx
Newby with 2 New Mums & 5 chicks!

Started by StephRF on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 08:42
by ANHBUC
xx
Newby Chicken/Duck

Started by Dagi on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 20:48
by joyfull
xx
A newby Chicken owner saying Hello

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 16, 2012, 19:54
by cbv8

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 37 queries.