Choosing tree surgeon

• 9 Replies

willowman

• Experienced Member
Choosing tree surgeon
« on: September 08, 2009, 07:52 »
Earlier I asked about pollarding my willow. The recent strong winds have convinced me that this is the year to do it, watching the branches bending violently filled me with fear that one would break off and crash into the buildings (it is a large willow).
But how do I get the right tree surgeon?
Loads of ads in yellow pages say they will prune trees, but I want a professional who knows what he/she is doing. How can I tell the good from the bad?
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

Goosegirl

Re: Choosing tree surgeon
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 16:45 »
Not an easy thing to do - I need one too! You need one who has the necessary qualifications including Health and Safety (Google this for advice); also source through a good garden centre, your local council, word of mouth etc and ensure the tree hasn't got a preservation order on it (see council).   
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 18:19 »
Have you tried looking on checkatrade.com ? not sure if it has tree surgeons on it but we used it for the people who did our drive, they certainly have landscapers on there and builders and plumbers and all sorts of different trades.

It's a website that lists tradespeople and then when they've done the job you can leave a comment about them, bit like ebay but obviously not quite the same!!  Idea is to help stamp out dodgy tradesmen.

I'd never heard of it until a leaflet dropped through our letterbox.  Might cost slightly more than any old random chosen out of the yellow pages but probably worth it to at least have a little confidence they know what they are doing?

Also make sure you get several quotes, we had a willow in our back garden removed about 3 years ago and the quotes varied hugely.  Think we paid about £450 but one quote was £1200!  The expensive one was going on about how big the tree was and it being a huge job, chap we actually had looked at it and said that's small for a willow.  It was about 45ft I'd guess.  Other quote we had was about £800 from memory.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 19:14 »
Can I also suggest you check (and see!) their public liability insurance, just in case of mishap.

Reputable companies will have at least half a million, and won't mind you asking at all. The co who felled our gigantic euky had 1.5 mill.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 20:20 »
Thanks for the advice.
Will try your suggestions and report back.
Never thought about asking at the garden centre (we are good customers and fellow businessmen) or liability insurance.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 07:05 »
I have all my National Proficient Test Council tickets and can carry out all the work, i dont have public liability insurance due to work covering this while at work.  cs 30-31 39-40 and 48 i would say these are a basic to even think about carrying out tree works while running a business.  I also have about 5 other NPTC tickets.
Thanks
Kris

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 16:56 »
Shame you're not closer Kris as there's loads of work to do on our tress at school right now -- removing a dodgy polar being one  :ohmy:

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 19:47 »
Shame you're not closer Kris as there's loads of work to do on our tress at school right now -- removing a dodgy polar being one  :ohmy:

I could do with some extra cash before my holiday hahahahaha. I got tree's on the edge of my plot that need sotring aswel.

Ruby Red

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 15:06 »

Try asking your local council. We had no problem finding a proper one through our council he gave us a few names to use.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 18:19 »
Sunshine band my OH has a tree stump removal business and knows a lot people in the business. I'll pm you the name and number of someone he recommends.

This guy is well above board and has all his insurance and tickets. My OH knows because he did the LOLAR inspection for this guy's insurance renewal.

New Shoot
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 18:22 by New shoot »

xx
What is this tree?

Started by myfanwe on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 02:54
by Lindeggs
clip
what is this tree?

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2013, 11:02
by andyf75
clip
Tree

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2021, 08:44
by johnjsdb
xx
Tree id, anybody?

Started by Annen on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 17:51
by Annen

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 29 queries.