bran mash

• 5 Replies

nzdunn

bran mash
« on: September 07, 2009, 18:24 »
just wondering can you give chooks bran as in the horse bran.   In the winter i feed it to my guinea pigs, mash it up with abit of warm water, they absoutely adore it and its great for keeping condition on them, anyway slightly going off the topic can you give it to the hens in the winter as abit of a filler for those colder mths. 

8doubles

Re: bran mash
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 18:30 »
Bran does not have the correct nutrients for egg production . I just tip boiling water on some layers pellets and let it cool a bit . The chooks think it is something special and bolt it back.

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 19:47 »
if it does to chickens what it can do to horses then no . bran in very very small quanties once in a while is ok { like if a horse is poorly with gut  probelms } bran destroys the calcuim within the body if fed in any large quanties to any animal. well this is what i have always been told and i warn ppl agaisnt using it  not even my vets recommend it now .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

nzdunn

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 20:05 »
ok thanks very much for the replies.  nickyx :)

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:36 »
if it does to chickens what it can do to horses then no . bran in very very small quanties once in a while is ok { like if a horse is poorly with gut  probelms } bran destroys the calcuim within the body if fed in any large quanties to any animal. well this is what i have always been told and i warn ppl agaisnt using it  not even my vets recommend it now .

Agree with Karlooben. Too much bran in a human diet is bad for our calcium absorption and is not good for horses. I think it may be difficult for them to digest anyway.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nzdunn

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:51 »
yeah understood, in the guinea pig world alot of breeders would feed it as a mash or dry in the winter months to keep condition and to keep them abit warmer as it swells in the tummy.    Thankyou anyway for the replies.  nickyx :)

xx
bokashi bran

Started by staffschicks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 22:33
by kimT
xx
Bokashi Bran?

Started by RoyMK on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:30
by RoyMK
xx
Bokoshi bran

Started by bluemaran on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 11:10
by Sue33
xx
bokashi bran

Started by suffolk chucks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 23:00
by snow on the ground

Page created in 0.623 seconds with 36 queries.