Urgent advice re plucking and dressing chickens would be gratefully received

• 19 Replies

Moco

• vicki's blog
For reasons too long and complicated to go into, I had to deal with the cockerels yesterday and now have four to pluck and dress.  Am up to my eyes in other things and, to avoid plucking and dressing in the dark this evening, am wondering whether it will be OK to leave them till tomorrow to deal with.

They've been in a cold outhouse since yesterday.  Do you reckon they'll last another night?

In great haste and with apologies for silence and no recent pictures of geese...it's been a frantic summer...

8doubles

It`s not over warm at the moment so they will be fine , an old net curtain or a piece of garden fleece is handy to keep the flies off.

Moco

• vicki's blog
Many thanks.  Can now go out with an easy mind and look forward to dealing with it all in the morning.  Phew.

Kate and her Ducks

Off topic but do I win the egg race this time?

My ducklings have been laying for a little over 2 weeks!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Moco

• vicki's blog
Yes.  I think you do.  My five of yours are all disshevelled and look appalling as they are moulting.  I am guessing they're not laying.

But the odd egg appears, only to be promptly eaten by something as whoever's laying is doing it outside the run and later in the day.  It may be that the two 'babies' are laying, but I can't be certain, so I can't claim victory on this one!  Dammit.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the others will start laying again before the winter, but suspect this may turn out to be a waste of time.

In haste, but will get some geese pics up soon.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
It's fine to hang them for a couple of days, lets the flavour develop and the muscles relax, but plucking is easier when the birds are still warm!!! :)

Moco

• vicki's blog
Thank you, Grannie Annie.  I was hoping someone would say that!  Guess what I'm doing this morning.  And the plucking is going to be tough, I know.

I always try to kill and deal with them all in one go, but got overtaken by circumstances this time.  Sigh.

Circumstances of my own causing, however, as I had a brainstorm and bought two maran cockerels and hens at a local fair because they were beautiful and I needed the change......

Am hoping for wonderful dark brown eggs and pretty hens....pictures will follow!

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
I usually pluck them while still warm but save drawing them until they have cooled a bit....not quite as mucky :tongue2:
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

Moco

• vicki's blog
Hello oddpaws.  Oh good.  I'm usually doing it right, then.  Just got caught out this time and am not so confident on the 'hanging' bit.  The plucking will be hard, the gutting will be easier!

pushrod

I have given up on plucking chickens. When i have one for the pot i skin back the breast, cut the fillets off. Cut the legs off and skin them - job done. Start to finish less than 15 minutes. I found plucking and cleaning was taking an hour and a half plus  >:(

I know it is a bit wasteful of meat on the carcass but the time saved makes it worthwhile  :)
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

8doubles

I do the same as pushrod with game and pigeon but not chicken , crispy chicken skin is the best bit. :)

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
I do they same with pigeon but cant bear to see the meat from the bigger birds go into the bin :wub:

Moco

• vicki's blog
Thank you all.  I have heard of this method, but have not yet tried it. 

Shall see how much time I have left today.  May end up doing it the way you're all suggesting on this occasion.

Someone told me, with pheasants, they cut the skin somewhere and then hang onto it and throw pheasant in air and it is stripped.  Sounds easy.  Not up to trying it today!!  Lol

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
I usually pluck them while still warm but save drawing them until they have cooled a bit....not quite as mucky :tongue2:

Oh you say that OP, last Christmas one lady turned up a day early for her chicken, and Brian had only just culled it.  He had to rush to gut it and it was all warm and yucky!  took him ages to get it really clean!

Moco

• vicki's blog
Only thing worse than warm chickens is warm turkeys.  Believe me!!

xx
Hen health, any help gratefully received.

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 23:10
by wendy
xx
chickens - feather plucking

Started by fred54 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 09:00
by Vember
xx
Urgent: chickens inside with this temperature?

Started by Toosje on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post March 09, 2018, 17:32
by grinling
xx
URGENT HELP PLEASE!!!! My dogs attacked my chickens

Started by Carla on The Hen House

58 Replies
Last post November 05, 2010, 19:37
by Carla

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 37 queries.