Plums.....

• 3 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Plums.....
« on: September 05, 2009, 19:06 »
So there I was earlier today finally finishing making my plum wine - the plums had been soaking in water for a few days and I strained them off but it seemed a waste to merely condemn them to the compost so I thought I'd see if the girls would like some... Do fish swim in water? Is the pope a Catholic? But then I started wondering whether they would have the same effect on the dietary system of the chicken that they also have, when eaten in great quantities, on us humans, so I took them away again. The girls were livid!!

The question, therefore, is are plums good or bad for chickens - does anyone know?

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
Re: Plums.....
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 19:11 »
Well our girls love plums although we don't give them very often as they do give them the squits but they are their favorite treat, we have to give them one each or they fight over them and start "shouting" at me lol  :tongue2:

I can't imagine they would do them any harm as long as not in large quantities, we only ever give them one each about once every 10 days.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 19:16 »
My chooks are penned under the plum tree and can eat all the windfalls they like. They would not eat them last year but are tucking in this year. No signs of plum bum or any other problems. :)

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 19:22 »
Ah, that's great - thanks for the prompt answers. Having just had a vet bill for £30+ for one of my girls with a rasping wheezy snough (she's on the mend and the other 5 aren't showing signs of same) I didn't want to inflict unneccesary suffering on the girls or my bank balance!!

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 36 queries.