Tomato flavour

• 48 Replies

tode

Re: Tomato flavour
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 21:30 »
Richyrich, I just can't believe it  :ohmy:  :ohmy:
Thats exactly what I've grown outside this year, and they've got no taste whatever !
Its been continually hot and sunny here, so thats not the problem. Only given a splash of water from time to time.
WHATS GOING ON  :mad:
Any ideas ??
Desperately desperate.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 21:53 »
Richyrich, I just can't believe it  :ohmy:  :ohmy:
Thats exactly what I've grown outside this year, and they've got no taste whatever !
Its been continually hot and sunny here, so thats not the problem. Only given a splash of water from time to time.
WHATS GOING ON  :mad:
Any ideas ??
Desperately desperate.

Mmm not sure perhaps and this is only a guess, those types are just not suited to your soil/climate.  :unsure: bit stumped but I do know soil etc can affect the taste of some plants.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Brambles

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 22:15 »
I have grown the same tomatoes for years and years, as my Father-in-Law did before me.   They are always grown in the same place...  sunny spot against a wall in a sheltered area...   We have always grown the same variety (although I HAVE tried others but have been disappointed in the flavours)....  Give me 'Moneymaker' and  'Ailsa Craig'  every time!   I only feed with a good amount of manure and compost before planting out and only water if weather is really dry....   otherwise I just wait for the best tasting, large crop of delicious fruits.... Just like Father-in-Law used to do!!!

sclarke624

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 22:45 »
What is wrong with toms in the fridge? I have always done it, my mother and my Nan too!

I do not know anyone that 'doesn't' put toms in the fridge! Keeps them for longer.

Fine for supermarket toms which are tasteless anyway so putting them in the fridge doesn't change the flavour for the better or worse. 

BUT home grown ones really do taste better not refridgerated, I 've tried it.  Of course if you have loads of toms eventually you do have to put some in the fridge to prolong their life. Though it seems to take some of the sweetness away to me.  I had my doubts as well until I tried it. ;)
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 01:06 »
Well I'm with you Barbarella, I'm growing Lidl, Tumbling  Toms, Tamina and Costuluto, the latter are the only ones with any taste! Most are grown in greenhouse but a few grown outside. Comparing the difference in taste, the outside toms win hands down. As for ripening, I started from seed in March and they are only just starting to turn in any numbers now. Also fighting the usual battle with blight doesn't help matters. All in all, not the best year I've known.  ::)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 10:40 »
IMO the toms were spoiled by the delayed ripening cos of the dodgy weather.
By the time mine ripened they had been fully grown on the vines for weeks, and were 'wooly' :(
"Wooly" was the word I was searching for but it wouldn't come :)

Thanks to you and everyone else for the really helpful comments.   I have made a note of the recommended varieties to try next year.  Maybe I have been overwatering but my toms are in growbags and pots,  and the ones in the greenhouse seem to get dry very quickly so I water them pretty well every day.  The Tomorite instructions say Under Glass:  feed at alternate waterings - so that's why I have done it three times a week, and the growbag outside gets done twice a week.  Next year I will be meaner - lots of plants seem to stay keener that way :)

I am sure you right about the delayed ripening.  My San Marzano have been huge and stubbornly green for weeks and even now are only ripening in ones and twos, which is why I have been using them in salads.  Im glad to know the flavour will improve when they are cooked.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:47 by barbarella »

Pompey Spud

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 12:31 »
I've been hunting everywhere to find a real TANGY tomato, but almost all varieties are described as "good flavour".
It seems impossible to get any sort of objective opinion about a tomato's taste  :(
I've seen Gardener's Delight described as "tasteless" and as "Superb"  ???
Bought some seeds that had won a prize for "best-tasting", and they're no better than the supermarket  >:(
Would it be possible to organise some sort of poll for tomatoes ?

In despair.

Try Tigerella. The stripey one.

Very tangy/sharp citrus flavour. Crops well.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

tode

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 12:43 »
Thanks Pompey. What other toms do you / have you grown? And how do you compare these with Tigerella. ?

Pompey Spud

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 13:03 »
I didn't grow Tigerella this year as I wanted to try a few others.

Wish I hadn't bothered as my toms this year have been well disappointing.

Last year was the above plus a yellow one, Sungold. They were both great plus  large crop.

This year I grew, Moneymaker, which IMO are no better than shops ones as most people say.

Yellow Brandywine, beef steak variety. All the fruit grew in a weird way where the core at the bottom had a large hole?

I'll stick with last years. Sun Gold has a rather sharp taste as well.

AdsaM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 13:12 »
"Sweet million" for me.

Grew them for the first time this year and have picked loads and they taste nothing like shop bought.

The Girls at work love them too.

"Hundreds and Thousands" in hanging baskets too but the taste is not as good as the greenhouse grown Sweet Millions.

Savoy

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 15:42 »
I have treid many varieties of tomato over the years but this time I tried Vanessa from Kings.It is by far the best yet.

tode

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 16:18 »
Savoy: Best how ?  What sort of taste??  Mmmmmm like a Mars bar, or WOW like a pineapple ?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 16:56 »
Last year my black cherry toms were exceptional, this year they are tasteless. ::)  I also grew tigrella last year and they were very nice but a smaller crop than the others.  The only tom I have found consistent is sungold.  I grow moneymaker as they have a large crop and make superb green tomato chutney.
Cheese makes everything better.

Savoy

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 18:53 »
Savoy: Best how ?  What sort of taste??  Mmmmmm like a Mars bar, or WOW like a pineapple ?

Just sweet and juicy!

Paul Plots

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 19:34 »
We've loved Bambino this year...strings and strings of little bursts of sugary sweetness. Great for packed lunches, ideal for adding to cooking and a huge crop.

Only draw-back is they take longer to harvest but it is worth the effort.  :)

I'm definitly going to grow these as a greenhouse crop again next year.... small lean-to greenhouse holding just two grow-bags.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Loss of flavour

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 24, 2023, 18:29
by Growster...
xx
carrots lack of flavour

Started by wilj1 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 07, 2020, 15:06
by wilj1
xx
Best flavour French beans

Started by pa snips on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post April 02, 2015, 21:42
by JimB
xx
Another blueberry question - flavour

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 19:18
by tosca100

Page created in 0.569 seconds with 37 queries.