Whats the point ?

• 26 Replies

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Whats the point ?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 16:38 »
I think that Hubballi's post is one of the most depressing I have ever read. :ohmy: I agree with the other posters:-

1. You're treating them too well & creating nice tender growth that slugs & snails love.

2. You need to use slug pellets (the envoronmentally friendly ones are fine, but you do need to keep putting them out.

3. Use copper tape round containers. (Get the one with the jagged edge that deters snails as well as slugs.

4. You have learnt a lot this year about the pests & diseases you are likely to encounter, so you can read up about them & be prepared for next year.

We all encounter growing problems, but that's how you learn & at least you're not suffering heartbreaking vandalism, or theft like many of us have done on allotments. Be positive. You will succeed. It sounds like your peas were better than mine anyway & I've been growing for over 30 years too.

hubballi

Re: Following potato blight
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 18:37 »
Thanks for the encouragement so far. As I said, I will almost certainly be doing it all again next year.

I have a small pond I planted years ago with frogs. This spring I saw the frog and since then there have been no sightings of any.

I have used nematodes in the past with little or no results.

I have been hand pollinating all the courgettes and cucumbers in the greenhouse as advised here earlier in the summer.

I use organic pellets.

I have some Potatoes in bags still growing, can I keep them going in the greenhouse ?

I also think I will keep a book with notes for what to avoid next year.

As for feeding, I remember Bob Flowerdue saying he sprays everything garden with seaweed mixture and it made such a difference in growth.

Debz

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 10:12 »
My mum has a good sized pond in her garden.  I seldom see the frogs after spring time in the pons but can come across them in the garden when I am doing a bit of tidying up.  They don't need to spend all their time in the pond unless it is really warm weather and we haven't had a great deal of that this year.  The undergrowth will have been moist enough for them to hang out in.

Gardeningguru

Re: Following potato blight
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 11:04 »
Thanks for the encouragement so far. As I said, I will almost certainly be doing it all again next year.

I have a small pond I planted years ago with frogs. This spring I saw the frog and since then there have been no sightings of any.

I have used nematodes in the past with little or no results.
I use organic pellets.

Organic Pellets, and nematodes with all the best will in the world, are not as effective as slug pellets.  Im sorry but its a WAR!  Do not underestimate the enemy.  Use regular slug pellets, just use them sparingly, in my opinion nothing beats them.

I also sprinkle a few pellets, in areas where I suspect they are lurking.  Its not the greenest thing to do in the world.  However, it delivers results.

The weather, you can do nothing about it.  Slugs and Snails are a war you won't win, but you can defend your plants to a better extent than has happened.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 14:08 »
My 100 foot garden is surrounded by 6-foot privet hedges, which equates to about 250 feet of slug and snail nursery. It would be impossible to grow veg without the careful use of (organic) slug pellets, although I limit my use of chemicals to that and the occasional spray of diluted washing-up liquid if aphids start to get out of control.

Some things are definitely more difficult to grow in certain areas/soils (what do your neighbours grow successfully?) and IMHO some things are more susceptible to a duff summer/pests and diseases than others. Stick to some of the more reliable crops next year to restore your faith in home-growing for the following year.

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 19:23 »
Nettle tea...Comfrey tea....liquid manure....cost nowt....Slug pellets is down to the user.....

But it all 'elps.....

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 21:25 »
Hi

Sorry to hear all your troubles. 

May I suggest, less feed as too much makes them put on soft growth.

My raddishes are in full sun and they are lovely and big. Our toms suffered blight and got burned so a mini disaster for us.

our spring cabbages are struggling a little with cabbage white butterfy catapiliers. 

why don't you put up lots of bird feeders in and around the veggies to encourage the birds in  esp ones that eat snails and slugs.  Use copper tape around your pots.

Your beans and peas are suffering from flower drop, this means they are not getting enough water on their leaves, flowers - I don't know if this is an old wifes tale but by hosing the actual plats each time you water and soaking the leaves and flowers this helps them keep the flowers before they drop - it works for my mums beans etc...

and lastly keep reading other peoples posts - you will pick up loads of hints and tips all useful for your plot too.

OVP

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 23:07 »
some excellent advice here.  Some of which I will be taking myself including a detailed log of produce type, seed names, plot position, feed and yields.

Hang in there Dude.  Plant some asparagus and some PSB as soon as you can to  keep you interested in spring time so you don't deal with all your disappointment in late summer.  You can save some for March and April!  Hahaha!

I had a shocking year with some veg.  It will be something different each year.

Feeding: This is a complex subject and what is right for me will not always be right for you.  Spend the winter finding about your soil types and what your crops need and when.  I'd put my finger on this a primary task for you.

Slugs and sails.  Nuke 'em.  No prisoners.  No retreat.  No surrender.  Organics are not man enough for this job, in my opinion, and unless you need to be certified organic this is the one area that we should always go commercial and toxic.   Copper tape?  I don't rate it. I've only ever seen it fail horribly and it's very expensive.  Others swear by it.

Everyone will tell you that slug and snail traps baited with beer do work.  This is an inexpensive "always on" option.  Disposal is a bit ghoulish.  Wear gloves and (if you are a drinker) develop a taste for wine as beer will not be your buddy after you've emptied a few pots of beery slug goo.

But let us never forget the good old fashioned weekly torchlight slug & snail harvest on a damp night.   You can create snail shelters around your garden to harvest the snails that way during the day.  They seem to like brick and concrete. Got much of that In your garden?  ;) If anyone you know has chickens then give the slugs and snails to your chicken guy.  A couple of bird tables and feeders will also encourage predator birds.

Slugs and snails are slow, stupid and always hungry.  This battle is weighted heavily in your favour.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 09:03 »
I wanted to be completely organic when I started my plot 8 years ago but the slugs are such a problem that the only way I can really control them (and I've tried it all) is with real blue slug pellets. Now I have the slugs more or less under control, I'm after the cabbage whites.

What's the point? Well, I think you have to take a long-term view. Every year is a lesson and every year results get a bit better so keep on going. And every year there will be bumper crops of something, average results with most things and complete failures of something else.

Accept that and you will be a happy gardener  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

hubballi

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 11:08 »
In retrospect (and after talking to my wife) things haven't been that bad relativity speaking with what you all have shared.

The Kale is looking good and will supply greens over winter. I have some couliflowers that are still ok, Kol Rhabi growing, Summer Broccoli that is still only about a foot high and some still very small Prima and greyhound cabbadges. The runner beans are twisted and mutated but we are still eating them ;-)

Tomatoes in the greenhouse ares till slow but at least I have something to ripen. The blighted toms infected leaves were but off but the rest of the plant still gives fruit and looks fine. You don't have to destroy the whole thing !

I have found a new baby frog in the pond which gives me no end of joy. Funny thing is, there was no frog spawn at all in spring.

I have always fed birds in my garden but will try and expand.

I have a lot to learn and have been quite ignorant of many things.I haven't even bothered to test the soil.

Christine

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 19:08 »
Sir, ignorance lessens with experience. You will find much knowledge here, on the telly and in books but you have to learn experience.  That takes years to gain. Enjoy the years. 

If the wife says there are possibilities, stay with it. A supportive partner is one of the best things a gardener can have.

titch

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 21:34 »
my garden is walled - no way in, yet we have 4 toads and a frog that somehow got in - one is huge, goodness knows how long he has been in there
just cos you dont see them dont mean they arent there

its war against the caterpillars and slugs, my lottie neighbour was pretty disgusted with me when i said i squished caterpillars - 5 weeks on she said 'it makes your fingers really green when you squish them doesnt it - snails go flying on my plot to the road (sorry but my veg is more important) and slugs go to a plot holders chickens
pillars are squashed and i fed my plants with wormery liquid, well diluted only a couple of times (new soil tho, next year may be a little different )
my plants seem to have done well for having to struggle a little against wind and rain

keep at it, its rubbish when somehting fails (tomatoes 3 years running, blight spuds 2 years) but theres always next year

and it gets you out and about and is good excercise

good luck with it
just keep breathing................

xx
one more for a bonus point ?

Started by penlee on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 01, 2007, 12:33
by WG.
xx
What is the point of a greenhouse then ?

Started by blackcat on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 18:59
by RichardA
xx
From stable to boiling point...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 22:37
by Quetzal
xx
More Leeks 5 point question

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 21:27
by billathome65

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 38 queries.