mucky bum

• 25 Replies

bexy

Re: mucky bum
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 17:46 »
I don't know what breed mine are.
They are ex battery hens and all i care about is that i am giving them the best life they could ever wish for in their later years. :ohmy:
And i think i would know the difference between a spaniel and a rottweiller :lol:

archiesgems

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 17:52 »
i wasnt picking on you personally, you might now the difference between a spaniel and a rotty so you wouldn't buy the latter if you wanted the former,,,,,,,,,,,,, if they are ex batts then they are usually a number rather than a breed name, all i am saying is certain breeds need special care and if people don't know what breed they have how can they know if they need to give special care???????????

eveshamchelle

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 21:25 »
My Magpie is in moult at the moment and I noticed she had a really mucky bum over the weekend, so inspired by *that* photo I gave her a bath.  She wasn't impressed and I think hubby and I were wetter than her at the end of it, but we did manage to blow-dry her afterwards!  But ....... when drying her, I realised I had missed what I thought was mud ...... it turns out it was chicken lice.

eeeeeek.

Have been to vets asking if my cats can have some Frontline spray rather than the usual stuff I get  ;)

Rubellite

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 21:34 »
I could make a few people a bit mad here but i am sorry but i have to say it.

so many times people say when aske what breed they have 'i dunno its brown' why cant people check out the breeds before hand, some breeds need special care whilst others just won't mix in large flocks or need special diets. what would happen if you bought a puppy from someone wanting a spaniel and find out its a rottweiller??????????

please do your homework before buying your chickens, it really is so important...

Hi Archie, I've done a fair bit of chicken reading now but can't say I've noticed a breed that won't mix in large flocks and now I'm intrigued........ which ones won't? Guessing at the game or fighting breeds? :mellow:

archiesgems

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 23:04 »
there are a few that are very unsociable, most of which are the game birds and some of the ornamentals, yokohamas can be very agressive to other birds as can indian game, but if you go through some of the old breeds you will find a few where recommendations are to be kept in small groups of the same breed. its a bit like mixing japanese bantams with gersey giants because it looks cute, in fact what you are doing is putting two birds together that will compete constantly for food and when it comes to dominance although the giant is a very gentle breed the bantam will always be at the bottom of the tree. alot is common sense, ornamentals need very special care especially in the winter months, the space requirements differ with breed types, an araucana for instance needs twice as much space as say s light sussex and its only half the size. all that i'm saying is know what breed you are buying that way if it needs special care you can give it

viettaclark

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 23:37 »
The pictures are all wonderful!
My Magpie has a REALLY fluffy bum whch invariably gets a bit mucky.... She has nothing wrong with her. When it starts looking a bit crusty I massage some olive oil into the feathers to loosen it. She does seem to enjoy it......... :D :D :D

Rubellite

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 08:30 »
there are a few that are very unsociable, most of which are the game birds and some of the ornamentals, yokohamas can be very agressive to other birds as can indian game, but if you go through some of the old breeds you will find a few where recommendations are to be kept in small groups of the same breed. its a bit like mixing japanese bantams with gersey giants because it looks cute, in fact what you are doing is putting two birds together that will compete constantly for food and when it comes to dominance although the giant is a very gentle breed the bantam will always be at the bottom of the tree. alot is common sense, ornamentals need very special care especially in the winter months, the space requirements differ with breed types, an araucana for instance needs twice as much space as say s light sussex and its only half the size. all that i'm saying is know what breed you are buying that way if it needs special care you can give it

Thank you Archie  ;)

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 12:57 »
Chickens bum has stayed clean ever since her little bath, so guess it was nothign serious in the first place  :) but still nice to come on here and be reassured by all you knowledgable people.

xx

Rubellite

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 15:33 »
 :lol: What a subject to be proud to be knowledgable about!!

Foxy

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 15:53 »
I also dont like to mix exbatts with cochins, or other docile feather footed breeds. I have had in the past a disaster, when an exbatt reduced Biggins feet to blooming ribbons. :(

coco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 08:52 »
I'm sorry I didn't know what breed my chicken were  :( I tried asking them this morning and even they didn't know

xx

question
Mucky Bum

Started by Charlie's Chickens on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 13:05
by compostqueen
xx
mucky bum

Started by dan808 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 09:09
by Sassy
xx
Mucky run

Started by chuckmad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2010, 23:41
by Pip Judgeford
xx
Mucky Hens !

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 13, 2012, 18:37
by Blobbs

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 36 queries.